AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2008, 03:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Wireless - TKIP sort of broken

For a long time, we've known that wireless networks that use WEP have problems with security. However, a couple of academic researchers have identified some issues within the WPA protection provided by the 802.11i standard. They're going to be presenting their findings at a conference known as PacSec. Before you rush out and turn off all your WiFi stuff, things might not be as bad as you might have assumed. TKIP isn't broken open like WEP was.

Read more - Wireless - TKIP sort of broken
Old 7th November, 2008, 03:23 PM
Steve Jobs

The combination of wireless security bothering me and WPA being iffy on Linux machines from time to time lead me to just leave it open and VPN in to access anything.

Not certain if that's the best solution really, just seamed convenient since Network Manager detects the network and knows what to do to connect to it.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2008, 03:57 PM

I've found WPA support to be pretty good using wpa_supplicant. If a driver has tried to implement it's own WPA, I've generally found it to suck by comparison. I'd had more problems under Windows than Linux...
Old 7th November, 2008, 04:40 PM
Steve Jobs

Its more NetworkManager's WPA support, it tends to want to do silly things and fail to connect (incidentally, a simple ifconfig wlan0 down ifconfig wlan0 up usually fixes it). NM also has some odd issues with VPNC from time to time, but its far less frequent.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2008, 05:00 PM

Well, that's a NetworkManager problem then. Having said that, I've never got on well with NetworkManager. It seems to have more than it's fair share of borkedness.
Old 7th November, 2008, 05:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

NetworkManger in F9 seems to be much better than it was in F8, which is to say that instead of being truly garbage, it is now just rubbish.
Old 8th November, 2008, 12:09 PM
Member/Contributer

NetworkManager is giving me some problems as well.

It wont connect if the SSID isn't being broadcasted - have never managed toget this working. Also it crashes when i try and use vpnc, which is funny, cause it worked like a dream in ubuntu 7.10.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 8th November, 2008, 12:58 PM
Steve Jobs

NM does have a lot of potential, the design of it and the UI is very slick, just needs a plumber to check the pipes.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th November, 2008, 07:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
NetworkManger in F9 seems to be much better than it was in F8, which is to say that instead of being truly garbage, it is now just rubbish.
You can see why I'm near desperate to get the update to install! Which it won't! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th November, 2008 at 07:22 PM.