AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th January, 2009, 04:41 PM
AOA Staff

Deception of 'up to' broadband speeds exposed

See front page:
AOA - Deception of 'up to' broadband speeds exposed

Comments?
Old 8th January, 2009, 05:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

When you have technology that has an inverse relationship between speed and distance (ADSL), how do you advertise it? How also, do you handle the difference between line speed and available speed to a server on the internet?

For example, someone I know lives pretty much at the edge of what is possible with ADSL - their line can't support more than 512Kbit/sec simply because it's pretty much beyond the 5KM mark. How do you advertise to someone like that, as well as someone who's in the middle of a town?
Old 8th January, 2009, 05:54 PM
AOA Staff

The trend seems to be using the words "up to xxx", but with little obvious explanation of what that means, and average or minimum speed specified.

Is it possible to find out what speed you're likely to see before signing-up, I wonder?
Old 8th January, 2009, 06:11 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You can find out an indicative line speed, but it's not 100% accurate by any stretch of the imagination, as there are a number of factors that can cause it to vary from a predicted speed. For DSL, the internal wiring in your house can make a big difference to the line speed obtained, but is completely beyond the control of an ISP.
Old 8th January, 2009, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Comcast just informed me that My speed has doubled or will any day now.......what interesting is that I have now lived in three houses with MS and Linux and have yet to get more than half the speed promised. Now I'm suppose to get 15, for the first time I get a full 7... so it goes...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
broadband , internet