AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th July, 2009, 05:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hacker Says iPhone is Incredibly Insecure, "Useless" for Businesses

Written by Daniel
Monday, 27 July 2009
Apple says its iPhone 3G S is "ready for business", however one leading hacker calls it "useless" for business users, thanks to its woefully poor encryption and security.

Jason Mick (Blog) - July 24, 2009 1:42 PM

He says the phones pose a serious threat to companies adopting them. Still, some companies say it's worth the risk.
(Source: The iPhone Blog)

The iPhone yet again experiencing criticism over poor security [Front page...]
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2009, 03:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

See my comment in this thread: Apple's iPhoneware update snuffs tethering hack.

The iPhone's encryption ensures that if someone unsolders the FLASH in an iPhone, they can't get at the data. However, if someone uses the USB connection to gain access, the OS will helpfully decrypt the data for them.
Old 28th July, 2009, 05:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just love this part:

"Still, some companies say it's worth the risk."

My question: Worth it until when?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2009, 06:21 PM
Steve Jobs

Well... Typing this from my new 3GS ATM. Which does in fact contain everything including my passwords and rsa keys. But then I do enjoy living dangerously.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 28th July, 2009, 06:23 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Well... Typing this from my new 3GS ATM. Which does in fact contain everything including my passwords and rsa keys. But then I do enjoy living dangerously.
Posted via Mobile Device
Btw how do you choose to go to the big boys version of aoa instead of the mobile version?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 28th July, 2009, 09:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Right now, you don't.

Let me see if I can do a quick template edit to fix that.
Old 28th July, 2009, 09:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you scroll down to near the bottom of the page, you should see a drop-down to change the forum style.
Old 28th July, 2009, 10:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Until when? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 29th July, 2009, 12:52 PM

Maybe one day Apple will wake up to the fact that there's a whole bunch of people who would like to be able to use an iPhone instead of a Blackberry. Apple have got the iPhone to the EAS stage, so it can talk to Exchange servers. Without encryption though, that's a bad idea. Compared to the work RIM have put in place on the Blackberry, Apple is light years behind. Apple is significantly behind Windows Mobile in this area too.

From my experience with the 3G S, the data on it might as well not be encrypted for the ease of being able to extract it. The "encryption" really doesn't protect anything at all.

Last edited by Áedán; 29th July, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 29th July, 2009, 03:38 PM
AOA Staff

The mobile skin for the forum could do with some minor tweaks, such as a larger font size. It works fine, but is really tiny. Having to zoom is awkward.
Old 30th July, 2009, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
See my comment in this thread: Apple's iPhoneware update snuffs tethering hack.

The iPhone's encryption ensures that if someone unsolders the FLASH in an iPhone, they can't get at the data. However, if someone uses the USB connection to gain access, the OS will helpfully decrypt the data for them.
Is the security poor just if someone gets hold of your phone, or can it be compromised remotely?
Old 31st July, 2009, 11:33 AM

There's two aspects for the current version of the OS. Firstly, the encryption doesn't protect the data on the phone except for one specific, complicated attack that is irrelevant. Secondly, the phone can be compromised remotely.