AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2009, 03:48 PM

Laptops with a something other than a TN display?

I'm looking for a Laptop with a non TN panel. I can only assume all of the ones advertised locally use the cheaper TN panel with the narrow viewing angle.

Are there any Laptops that don't have the cheaper TN panel?
Old 9th December, 2009, 11:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hey VB, sorry I didn't respond sooner.

To the best of my knowledge, pretty much ANYTHING on a laptop is going to be TN. I think you might luck out and find a FEW laptops at the high end that would use MVA/S-PVA or even S-IPS/H-IPS (I think the Lenovo T60p came with an IPS panel for a while, but they stopped production), but I don't know of any off-hand.

The main reason, near as I can tell, is supply: the available capacity of IPS panels is going to high-def TV production, meaning that laptop manufactures and even monitor manufacturers are having a hard time getting product consistently.

If you're looking for a laptop for the sake of convenience, then I'd recommend an external monitor, maybe even a CRT if color reproduction is critical to you. However, if you actually NEED a portable computing platform, I really don't know what to suggest.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2009, 07:28 PM

I'm really surprised that only TN panels are used. While I understand the cost factor, Laptops that sell for well over $1500 I would expect something other than a TN panel.
Old 10th December, 2009, 10:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

TBH, I'm surprised that you can't get at least a MVA/S-PVA panel in the high end ones myself.

I've currently got a Lenovo T61p that cost the company a little over $3000, and even it came with a TN panel (and this 1920x1200 display is not exactly a cheap option).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!