AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2010, 07:52 PM
AOA Staff

Free Dial-Up

Has anyone hear of AzTeC freenet? or any kind of free Dial-Up internet?

I found this non-profit internet service that uses text-only Dial-Up internet for free. I have been wondering when companies were going to start offering this....
I hope that at some point (in the near future) everyone can have internet even if it is Dial-Up. Since most people use cell phones and Cable internet there must be a good use for all those phone lines.

What have you hear about free internet?
What are the disadvantages (besides slow internet)?

I would love to give away refurbished computers to low income families and offer free internet so they can communicate with the world and research too.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2010, 08:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've no knowledge of or experience with AzTeC, so I can't speak to them specifically. What I read on the web site seems to suggest some sort of ssh connection that only allows text-mode browsing (I guess you connect to an ssh session and then browse the web directly from their server or something, so that you are limited to using only the tools they provide, i.e. elinks or other text-only browser).

In general, the free services that I have looked at in the past are either strictly local community affairs (e.g. joplin.com, which provides dial-up access for free to Joplin residents, but limits you to like 1 hour/day) or commercial operations that require you to install a special client which then subjects you to all kinds of ad-ware.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2010, 09:13 PM
AOA Staff

I'm trying to test it right now and I'll let you know how it works out. My first problem is this laptop doesn't have hyperterminal hypertrm.exe
Once I get that installed or running then I'll try the service. AzTeC says you can browse the World Wide Web with their service, but I don't know if it will be through the terminal or with an internet browser.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th January, 2010, 10:58 PM

I've tried half a dozen free services in the past and found that-for the most part- it was worth the $10 or $12 to subscribe to a service, though Netzero-when it was Zero-wasn't bad.
......but when you can't afford $10, and some realy can't, any free access is good!
As Gizmo said, adware is the price you pay for free.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 15th January, 2010, 11:01 PM
AOA Staff

I kinda figured as much. $10 isn't much but at least there is an option. I didn't get a dial tone here at work, so I may try it at home with my laptop.

By the way, are you experimenting with avatars?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 15th January, 2010, 11:05 PM

Yea, thoght I'd change things up a bit.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 18th January, 2010, 12:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
I'm trying to test it right now and I'll let you know how it works out. My first problem is this laptop doesn't have hyperterminal hypertrm.exe
Once I get that installed or running then I'll try the service. AzTeC says you can browse the World Wide Web with their service, but I don't know if it will be through the terminal or with an internet browser.
I might be a bit delayed to the party, but I think putty lets you use hyperterminal to connect. Although I havent used putty in quite some time so my info is more outdated than the ENIAC.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 18th January, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 18th January, 2010, 04:22 PM
AOA Staff

I have heard of putty..... I don't remember where
I didn't get a chance to try my laptop modem over the weekend due to a LAN party at my house.
But I'll try this weekend.
I just want to get connected to verify that AzTeC is still operational. Their website says the libraries use this free dial-up service, so I'm sure they are still using it.
Dial-up at the library will encourage internet but discourage streaming/downloading video, audio and other stuff people shouldn't be looking at...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10