AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th April, 2010, 08:14 PM
AOA Staff

Palm makes eyes at possible purchasers

See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/m...urchasers.html

Comments?
Old 13th April, 2010, 04:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Having played with an iPhone now, I have to say that I really like Palm's WebOS better (and not just because I used it first). I think WebOS is the technically superior platform.

The problem is that Palm have REALLY dropped the ball in terms of development. I mean, it was only with the last update in January that I FINALLY got the ability to record video, DESPITE the fact that there have been hacks on the web to do video for literally MONTHS (at least one was released within a week of the Pre coming on the market). And I STILL don't have an ICQ or MSN IM client, unless I want to use another hack.

Palm's attitude towards developers seems to be "Here's a dev kit; some stuff works, some doesn't; we'll fix it when we get around to it", and getting answers to questions is like getting someone to let you pull their teeth with no anaesthetic.

All in all, I can't say I'm surprised. I just wonder who's going to see a reason to buy them, especially with Android gaining so much momentum.

It's really sad, because Palm had the rest of the market beat by almost a year, and a really solid base to work on. To paraphrase Winston Churchill "Never has so little been done with so much".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th April, 2010, 05:53 PM
AOA Staff

I'd say Palm are well known to techies, and that used to be where the market was. But, they don't seem to have grasped the mainstream market in the way Apple and RIM have.

Tags
palm