AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th December, 2010, 12:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Java OSK?

Hey all,
I recently got hold of a Garmin-Asus nüvifone M10 (nuvifone M10 - Overview ~ Garmin-Asus). It's a real upgrade from my Samsung Tocco Lite (which has slowed quite a lot in recent weeks) and has everything i could ever want or need in a mobile device, with one exception; Java OSK. As it's a Windows Mobile 6.5.3, it's not the newest of it's type, but it's suitable for me.

Basically, i use several applications that are emulated in Java via Esmertec Jbed as native versions aren't always available for Windows Mobile. As an example, i use the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator. Since it's not officially supported on Windows Mobile and is mainly aimed at Android and iPhone (although it is possible to get it working on any java-enabled phone), it means that there's often limitations. On my Tocco lite, it was merely slow to start but worked fine. On this Nuvifone M10, the issue is that there's no on-screen keyboard in Java.

Tapping the top-right of the screen, as i've been told to try, does nothing. Since the authenticator has to sync with a remote server, it uses the # key as the sync button (to prevent unnecessary costs). Without a keyboard, it's possible the authenticator will go out of sync, locking me out of my SC2 and WoW Accounts.

I've tried installing the Intent MIDlet manager, but tapping the widget icon doesn't do anything. I can see it installed and i can remove it, but i can't actually start it (or find a way to start it).

I also installed a theme, but that doesn't seem to show up in the themes list as i'd expect. It shows up in the "Remove Programs" dialog, but there's no apparent way of activating it.

Another issue i'm having is with the MicroSD card slot. I've got a 4GB Micro SD card which i previously used in my Samsung Tocco Lite. It contains a lot of music, some photos, and some video footage. While the Samsung picks the content up fine, the Nuvifone seems to have issues even seeing the card. The Memory report states 3.8GB Total for the memory card, with 1096MB free. Upon removing the card and restarting the device, checking the memory settings reports the same as it does when the card is present.

Additionally, setting the USB mode to "Storage Card" means that the computer doesn't detect the device when it's connected, whereas using "My Storage" does work.

I tried with ActiveSync and while it doesn't have issues with setting, i'm still unable to view the contents of the MicroSD card.

Reinserting the card into the Samsung Tocco Lite and connecting it, i'm able to browse the MicroSD card as would be expected.

Anyone got any ideas? The Java one is a minor one (although still important), while the expansion card one is a little more concerning.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2010, 02:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Hmm, seems it's picking up the card now. I also managed to get the JavaFX emulator installed, but i'm still concerned (being that i'm now locked out of my account because it's apparently gone OOS). The text in JFX emulation mode is quite small and pretty difficult to read, but i can sync it without issue.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2010, 06:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Can anyone give skool h8r a hand with this, please?
Old 8th December, 2010, 05:06 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Jbed and JavaFX are both KVMs (K virtual machines - effectively a cut down Java Virtual Machine for J2ME) that run Java bytecode and interface with the native OS - hence they're virtual machines, rather than emulators. Unfortunately the KVM itself is responsible for things like softkeys, rather than the midlet. Therefore it's entirely up to the KVM how it handles things like keyboard input...

However, from the release notes of Oracle's JavaFX:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Release Notes
Upon installation of the JavaFX Mobile stack you might find the font size too small or too large. Follow these steps to change
the size.
  1. Use the System Settings to set the font size: Settings > System > Screen > Text Size.
    In the Text Size tab, use the horizontal slider to set the size.
  2. Restart JavaFX Mobile.
If the font size does not change, font size settings defined in your device’s Windows Mobile registry are overriding the
system font size setting. Follow these steps:
  1. Using a registry editor, remove the following keys:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SUN\JVM\FONT\SMALL]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SUN\JVM\FONT\MEDIUM]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SUN\JVM\FONT\LARGE]
  2. Restart JavaFX Mobile.