AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd February, 2011, 03:35 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Sony Reader

So Kriss has been begging for one of these for a while. I finally break down and get her one. I found one at a pawn shop so I pick it up. But for the life of me I can't get a book on the sucker!!! I do some researching on the web and it turns out it's a problem they seem to have.

Sigh.... I've shot and email off to tech support we'll see what they have to say. (if I ever hear back from them)
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2011, 06:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I recently bought myself and my wife Kindles from Amazon. I absolutely LOVE it! The Kindle 3 is 16 shade gray scale, but the display is very sharp. With the addition of the leather case (about another $50) you've got a built-in reading light as well, and this thing runs on a single charge for WEEKS (as long as you aren't beating up the WiFi).

I've got about a dozen technical manuals on it right now, and the ability to set a bookmark or hi-light text and then search just those bookmarks and hi-lights is absolutely amazing! I held off on getting one of these for quite a while because they were initially so expensive, but now they are $139. Having an entire library at my fingertips is really nice, as is the ability to read my ebooks on the kindle, PC, and my Android phone (although TBH the screen on the phone is a bit small). You can also use the Kindle app on the iPad or the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but the display isn't as crisp as the display on the Kindle e-book, and both devices are far more expensive than the Kindle.

The only real downside is that the Kindle uses DRMed content, but that's taken care of easily enough using tools that are readily available.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2011, 06:47 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I was kinda kicking myself in the bitt when I saw the Kindle on sale for that price.

I talked to Sony tech support today, they told me I meed to flash the firmware on the reader, turns out the firmware is no longer availble. soooo... They are sending us a new reader. They are even sending a newer version the PRS 600 (she had the 500) this one has a touch screen which will be great for her. So all and all I'm happy and she'll be happy.
BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104
Old 4th February, 2011, 10:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad you and Kriss scored so well with your purchase! Enjoy...

READ:

The River Why ?

if you can find the time....":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th February, 2011, 11:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Daniel,
If you like to read Science Fiction, I'd highly recommend "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Shadow" and "Speaker for the Dead" are also quite good, IMO.

As well, I've been reading a series by David Weber that I find very entertaining, although it's more in the realm of military fiction in a sci-fi setting. If you like well drawn characters (especially strong female characters) I'd recommend the books of the Honorverse series, starting with "On Basilisk Station". In addition, there's "In Fury Born". Even though it's not strictly a part of the Honorverse series it is still, IMO, a very good read and still set in the same sort of environment.

Last edited by Gizmo; 4th February, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 7th February, 2011, 10:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I gave Patti the list for the next time she goes to the Library. Thanks Gizmo! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th February, 2011, 12:08 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Thumbs up

Also add "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. About SF if you haven't read The Foundation series by I. Asimov it's well worth!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 8th February, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 8th February, 2011, 07:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The Foundation series are indeed a good read. IIRC, 'I, Robot' was the first in that series. And don't judge the book by the movie. The book was by far much better, and written much earlier. And don't get the version of the book that is based on the screenplay, either.

Last edited by Gizmo; 8th February, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 8th February, 2011, 07:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I also enjoyed StarHammer, by Christopher Rowley.

Also, the "Xanth" series, and the "Incarnations of Immortality" series, both by Piers Anthony.
Old 8th February, 2011, 07:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Also add "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. About SF if you haven't read The Foundation series by I. Asimov it's well worth!
Foundation and Foundation and Empire...If I recall correctly... around 45 years ago...? ":O}

Truth is I haven't read fiction in at lest 20 years....thought I give it another try.... It just got to where fiction could no longer hold my interest....
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th February, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10th February, 2011, 05:34 AM
Member/Contributer

I too have the Kindle (3G) series. Love it, I use a lot of books in the non DRM .prc (mobi) format. If you have .doc files these can be converted using the free mobi converter for windows from mobipocket.com, or from *nix and windows using Calibre from http://calibre-ebook.com/

Giz, if you like the Honorverse series you may like the site: http://baencd.freedoors.org/

You can legitimately download CD's of the books from several authors, in multiple formats including .prc which works on the Kindle. They also have most of the artwork as well.

I'm waiting for the next installment having read it all, including spin-offs. The spin-offs give some background on some of the other characters, and explain some details glossed over in later books from the main series.

Basically all of David Weber, John Ringo, David Drake, and Mercedes Lackey are on there, plus a bit from other authors.

If you like the Honorverse, try the Aldenata series by John Ringo, as well as the March series by both John Ringo and David Weber.

Dan, personally I'm a prolific reader, going through 100-200 books a year. My partner didn't use to read at all, untill she found a genre and author style she liked. Now she reads about 1 book every couple of weeks. Basically you need to find a subject/genre you enjoy then some authors you find captivating.

I also use a search site which suggests alternatives that other people also enjoyed: http://www.tastekid.com/ to find alternatives I may not have though of, authors, books, movies, tv series, etc.

I also have found many books I either have owned for years or can't find anymore from http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Remember White Fang and Call of the Wild from Jack London, or Treasure Island and Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson? They are available for download there - I also own the paperbacks myself.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 10th February, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10th February, 2011, 03:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Cool, you read David Drake ("Hammer's Slammers")? Most of that stuff is out of print now. What about Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserker' series?

I've only read 3 books of Mercedes Lackey (something about dragons, can't remember the titles now, was a 3-book trilogy) but I remember the writing and plot were decent.

I'll check out the Aldenata series.
Old 10th February, 2011, 03:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Cool, you read David Drake ("Hammer's Slammers")? Most of that stuff is out of print now. What about Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserker' series?

I've only read 3 books of Mercedes Lackey (something about dragons, can't remember the titles now, was a 3-book trilogy) but I remember the writing and plot were decent.

I'll check out the Aldenata series.
Old 10th February, 2011, 09:52 PM
Member/Contributer

I've read Hammers Slammers and liked them a lot, almost all of them are on that site, but not anything I remember from Fred Saberhagen. I'm always looking for another good author. When I can't find or afford anything, I've read such authors as Bryce Courtenay and Maeve Binchy in desperation.

Mercedes Lackey seems more of a Fantasy writer than Sci-Fi, and I've read some of hers but not much.

Some of the other authors I've bought real books, as opposed to taking out from the library or just the e-books are;
Raymond Fiest
David Weber
David Drake
Eric Flint
Alastair Reynolds
Janny Wurts
John Ringo
Elizabeth Moon
Jack Campbell
Larry Niven
Greg Bear
Ian Banks
C J Cherryh
Orson Scott Card
Terry Brooks
Tad Williams
David Eddings
Robert Jordan
Sara Douglass
L E Modesitt, Jr

And a few others I can't remember offhand.

Some non scifi/fantasy authors I've read and enjoyed include Alistair MacLean, Wilber Smith and Clive Cussler

Another site which has a lot of information on the authors, their books and down the bottom suggestions of authors by what other people visit is http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

I'm currently reading the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint, Wheel of time by Robert Jordan, and finishing the second of the Troy series by John Ringo.

Found on the site I gave, if you manually enter http://baencd.freedoors.org/Discs/ it comes up with the listing of the CD's, you can then browser them and read the books online in html or download the books in any number of formats, as well as view the art gallery contained in that CD. Most of Hammers Slammers is on CD3.

And for those that have the Sony e-book reader, their later CDs contain that format, though all of their books contain the .rtf, .htm or .doc formats which can be converted easily.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 10th February, 2011, 10:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Eric Flint - Haven't read him, been thinking of doing so
Larry Niven - Absolutely love his Ringworld series
C J Cherryh - Read some stuff, didn't really do a lot for me.
Orson Scott Card - Excellent writer.
Terry Brooks - Read some of the Shannarah series stuff, another good writer.
Robert Jordan - I've read all of the 'Wheel of Time' series thus far, very good. I'm eagerly awaiting the final book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
I'm currently reading the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint, Wheel of time by Robert Jordan, and finishing the second of the Troy series by John Ringo.
If you enjoy 'Wheel of Time' then I'd recommend the 'Sword of Truth' series by Terry Goodkind. They made a TV series out of it (which IMO thoroughly butchered the books) but the books themselves are quite entertaining, IMO.
Old 10th February, 2011, 11:09 PM
Member/Contributer

I'll have to have a look at Terry Goodkind's stuff then.
I got onto Eric Flint's stuff from the co-authored series he has done with David Drake and David Weber.

An author I forgot to mention, stupid because I have almost all of his stuff, is Simon Green. He writes Space Opera or Supernatural Crime/detective/mystery, but twisted at 90 degrees. His characters are very witty, but as a warning, their humour is quite dark. Dark like Ian Banks Player of games and the Ringworld series, just more blood.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 10th March, 2011, 09:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Nice to know that we have some serious readers!