AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th January, 2012, 10:41 PM
AOA Staff

Unique Problem with two NIC cards

This is really for a MAC OSX 10 but I was hoping your linux guru's may be able to point me in the right directions.

I have a MAC at work that needs to access the internal network (LAN) on en0 and then external (WAN) on en1.

I am trying to use a switch for the LAN and a Cox cable with a router for the WAN connection.

My work has a different setup so it may conflict, but if someone can think of a way for me to get started that would help.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2012, 10:25 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The first thing I'd ask is why do you need a separate WAN connection for the Mac?

Be aware that your machine could become an entry route for the LAN via the WAN. Cutting to the chase, your Mac could be used to bypass the work firewall/security devices. In many organisations, this is a total no-no! Thus, ensure the risk of this is understood and agreed upon by management before doing this - that way any problems that could arise in the future become someone else's problem.

Right, some generalisations here, as I know TCP/IP, but not necessarily OSX. When you have two network cards, there needs to be some way in which the host (your Mac) knows which network card to send the packets out of to get to the correct destination. Something known as the routing table holds that information. When a packet is send, the routing table is examined to find out where to send it from. There is also a special entry, which is the "default gateway" - this is simply where packets get sent if there's no entry in the routing table.

If your internal network is more complex than a single subnet, you'll need to add suitable entries to the routing table yourself. Most of what I've found on the internet suggests using the /etc/rc.local file to add the IP configuration and routing entry. There's some useful information here: Adding static routes to a network - Mac OS X Hints

Note that if you use DHCP on either network interface, it may well overwrite the updates you make to the routing table, so you'd be best off using static IP addresses on the two interfaces on your machine and disabling DHCP. Also be aware that you're in full control of where packets go when you're messing around with routing tables - you can break your network connectivity easily. Don't panic, but do ensure you keep a note of any changes you make so you can undo them if things break!
Old 6th January, 2012, 02:32 PM
AOA Staff

Very interesting. It turns out you are right!
My boss did some tests with "route add" and subnet masking to see if we could force certain IP addresses to use the cox connection and it worked.
So you are saying to use the routing table with static IP addresses and the MAC will apply these new settings every time it boots right?

My boss decided to route only FTP IP addresses to the servers our employees access.... which is the current problem we are having. Only a few employees are uploading large graphical files to FTP and its extremely slow through our current gateway which is shared between several Domain Controller throughout the valley. Way too slow!

Thanks for the information, I'll send that link to my boss.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2012, 05:59 PM

You have the right idea, yup!

You'll find that the basics of TCP/IP are the same regardless of the underlying platform (fortunately!). Of course, you do have to figure out what commands are needed, but with a bit of knowledge you can configure anything from Windows to OS X to whatever weird and wacky things you can find.

It might be worth investigating why things are so slow on the gateway though.
Old 6th January, 2012, 06:45 PM
AOA Staff

I don't have all the "techie" network terms, but the original gateway is sharing between several locations in the city instead of using the local Cox Coaxial connections for internet. We have a Synchronous 10Mbps so its kinda slow when you consider 200 employees using it. Specially the web developers.
So one location wants to try using both gateways at the same time, but OSX refuses to use the Cox gateway for internet. That was our problem.
So we are subnet masking to force FTP connections to use the Cox connection and everything else will stay on the original 10Mbps gateway.

This is all new to me but very interesting and informational. I never really studied subnets and masking because I didn't have a real application for it.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th January, 2012, 11:07 AM

That makes me wonder if it's worth you guys re-evaluating your network connectivity, and how it's used. If you do, make sure you know what people are actually using the network for!

It should be possible to set up a firewall/gateway on each site that provides internet access, but retain the internal network so that sites can talk to each other. This could be achieved a couple of different ways:
  • Each site retains it's connection to the existing network, and has a new internet connection. You'd need router/firewall/av/whatever for each site. This would also reduce the amount of traffic on the inter-site links, as you're not having to forward the web browsing traffic internally. If you included VPN connectivity, it could provide backup connectivity between sites if the main link went down.
  • Each site gets a new internet connection, but switches across to a VPN connection so that the existing links don't have to be retained. Potentially, heavy web browsing could impact the VPN performance though.
Old 9th January, 2012, 03:26 PM
AOA Staff

You are exactly right! We are already talking about doing something like a gateway to share LAN/WAN connections over multiple sites. We will probably have to because the company is planning to expand.
We do have a few VPN connections too, but you are right... using internet through the VPN kills it.
I'll keep you updated on the subnet masks tests
Thanks for the tips
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 1st February, 2012, 12:50 AM
AOA Staff

We figured it out.
Using bash scripting and a LoginHook

create a script file without an extension in the root directory
Code:
#!/bash/bin
route add <IP of FTP server> <IP of COX gateway>
type the command for LoginHook
Code:
sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /script
Reboot and then use traceroute to see if it routes though the cox gateway instead of the original gateway.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 24th February, 2012, 12:32 AM
AOA Staff

ironically, I got it working on 3 computers that were in a test environment, but when I apply it to the actual computers it was written for... they script doesn't work
How lame is that?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 24th February, 2012, 10:59 AM

Sounds about right!
Old 24th February, 2012, 04:04 PM
AOA Staff

yeah, but these are MAC computers... shouldn't everything work perfectly as all MAC users proclaim?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 28th February, 2012, 11:16 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Perfect Mac World, but does anyone really live there?
Old 29th February, 2012, 03:34 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
The Perfect Mac World, but does anyone really live there?
Those are the testimonies I hear
Guess if you just use email, internet, itunes and play video... the world is perfect.

I however, crashed InDesign several times and have networking issues with multiple gateways and Windows shared drives.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10