AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th August, 2012, 01:56 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

HTC Desire memory

I've heard that is possible to make this phone consider a partition thats on the sdcard as internal memory. Can anyone share some light and does anyone know how to do this, please? ta
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2012, 03:36 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yup, you can partition the SDcard and use it as internal memory. It basically means hacking the vold.fstab file (which contains volume information). Don't remove your SDcard, as you'll remove part of your phone's filesystem.

For you, there's bad news. You can't do this under Windows, you have to use Linux, as Windows isn't able to format a filesystem as EXT4.

Useful link - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1088474
Old 19th August, 2012, 04:09 PM
Benchmarker

I will try this now, cheers for the info mate!

I'm afraid there is bad news for linucs users

(software)mini tool partition wizard(format to ext4 from windows)

Thanks again, I will keep you posted with how its going!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2012, 04:23 PM
Benchmarker

BTW what program you recommend for backing up data from my phone/sdcard before attempting this?

Hmmm, I just read this:

"The vold.fstab files posted here are specific to Samsung GT-I9003 Froyo release version 2.2.1. The structure of this file may vary from Phone to phone across different models and android release versions. So you may use the technique/ hack for swapping the memory but it is not guaranteed to work with other android phones using the same modified vold.fstab other than I9003."

so I am wondering if the modified file would work on my HTC Desire...

Thanks

Last edited by chrisbard; 19th August, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 19th August, 2012, 06:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Go slowly Chris, wouldn't want you talking to a brick you still think of as your phone.

Good luck! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th August, 2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
so I am wondering if the modified file would work on my HTC Desire...
I'd suggest that you look at your existing vold.fstab, and see if you can figure out what mountpoints you need to use to move your SDcard into the right place on the file system.

In terms of backup of the SDCard, you can use whatever takes your fancy. I just tend to pull everything off it via USB. In terms of phone, that's a slightly different question. I don't know exactly how HTC store some of their stuff. Apps can be re-installed from Google Play, so it's really only your data you're concerned with.

Nandroid might not be a bad place to start, as you get an image of the device as it is now.
Old 21st August, 2012, 02:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Chris, Is your phone rooted? If it is not then a "real" backup with all your apps and their data can't be done.

If you are rooted, Titanium Backup is one of the best backup apps out there. and also if you are rooted you can use an app that is called app2sd that is flashed from the phones recovery mode that moves your apps, their data and the dalvik cache to the EXT4 partition on your SD Card.

You can learn more about rooting when you look up your exact model phone over at XDA-Developers
Old 21st August, 2012, 03:17 PM
Benchmarker

I have root access as in I can see what I have there with X-plore for example.

I used revolutionary tool and following instr. it worked. (How to Root the HTC Desire)

But when I use a program like Root Check Basic it gives me a message after testing which says: "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access."

However I managed to install ICS and its working great apart from lack of memory.

From what I gather from your post I am thinking of connecting the phone thru USB then using MiniToolPartitionWizard to modify the size of my 8GB sdcard partition and then create another 1.5GB EXT4 partition. Then install Titanium backup and move everything on it. How can I be sure that the phone is 100% rooted? Cheers guys for the answers I am such a noob when it comes to phones...

PS Do you see any problems with what I described above?

Will the phone accept a repartitioning while in USB debbuging mode?

Do I need to turn off the phone extract the card and do it in a card reader?

Will the phone recognise the card afterwards?

Is the Android OS on the internal memory only or it resides on the sdcard aswell (I think it does and I feel a bit dumb for asking this)?

Old 21st August, 2012, 03:36 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread View Post
Chris, Is your phone rooted? If it is not then a "real" backup with all your apps and their data can't be done.
I've saved all I need from the SDcard and the list of the apps I use is stored on my google account so its easy peasy to put em back.

Old 21st August, 2012, 07:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm still trying to figure out the two tin cans and a string thing....

So you're not doing so badly by my standards, but you probably do still suck....":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2012, 07:46 PM
Benchmarker

Titanium Backup says root access failed

Old 21st August, 2012, 07:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Does it say why...why don't they ever say why??
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2012, 07:59 PM
Benchmarker

probably because its based on linux?

Old 21st August, 2012, 08:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Oh, so your saying it was user error then? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2012, 09:34 PM
Benchmarker

\\it is a \\know not how //error!

Old 21st August, 2012, 11:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah that's the one I meant...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 22nd August, 2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Titanium Backup says root access failed
Have you actually rooted the device (vs do you just think you rooted it)? Can you get access to a shell (however you like - adb on a PC is ok) and try the "su" command?
Old 22nd August, 2012, 11:26 AM
Benchmarker

I don't have linux, how can I use the su command? I have adb and when adb root it says that adbd is already running as root. Anyother way of finding out if the device is rooted?

Old 22nd August, 2012, 12:48 PM

You run the su command on your phone, not your PC! If you run adb shell with your phone connected to your PC, it should open a shell on your phone. At that point you can type "su" and then see if it comes back with a root prompt (a #) or not.

Random thought - you (or whatever you used to root) did install the superuser package on your phone?
Old 22nd August, 2012, 02:17 PM
Benchmarker

"Random thought - you (or whatever you used to root) did install the superuser package on your phone"

I think I was thinking I am rooting the phone when in reality using Revolutionary I just unlocked the bootloader. After installing the ICS I had the Superuser icon in the phone but in apps I had no app preinstalled. I just received a message to update Superuser and this is what I got:

SU Binary updater
latest version 3.1.1
checking installed version = 2.3.2-efgh
fixing db..okay
Gaining root access... fail!

I think I haven't managed to root the phone. (gosh I was doing it "wrong"!)

Last edited by chrisbard; 22nd August, 2012 at 02:24 PM.