AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May, 2002, 01:47 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Wired to Wireless

Any wireless experts out there? I have 2 switches that are side by side atm. 1 is a 4port router/switch, the other is an 8 port switch, and neither have wireless built in. I would like to seperate them and place them at opposite ends of the house. Ideally, rather than 1 long cat5, I'd like to use a wireless connection. This way, it would be easy for me to place a computer in any room in my house and have them all link up.

Is there a way to connect switches like this without breaking the bank. I'm just wondering out loud.
Old 19th May, 2002, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

*crack* there goes your bank account- the only way i know of how to do this is to put a Point to Point wireless network card into 2 computers ($79 each), one at each end of the house- and have another network card in both machines linking them to each switch- this should work-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th May, 2002, 10:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

A wireless Access Point acts as an bridge (a bridge in the network sense!) between 802.11 and 802.3. Thus one way you could do it would be to use two Access Points, one acting as a standard Access Point, and the other acting as a client.

I know that the Linksys WAP11 offers this functionality, I'm sure some other wireless APs do as well.

AidanII
Old 19th May, 2002, 11:19 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
A wireless Access Point acts as an bridge (a bridge in the network sense!) between 802.11 and 802.3. Thus one way you could do it would be to use two Access Points, one acting as a standard Access Point, and the other acting as a client.

I know that the Linksys WAP11 offers this functionality, I'm sure some other wireless APs do as well.

AidanII
Thanks AidanII, I think I understand. Each AP runs about $130, right?
Old 20th May, 2002, 02:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Thanks AidanII, I think I understand. Each AP runs about $130, right?
From the pricing I've seen, I'd say around $130-$140, but I don't live in the US, so I don't really know.

AidanII
Old 26th May, 2002, 10:25 AM

I was just thinking.
Can you buy an adapter that plugs into your standard CAT5 NIC and converts it to wireless??

I was wondering because my house is all wired up using cable and I dont really want to pay out a fortune replacing it all when I could buy some adapters.