AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2002, 09:42 AM

Dial up modem, err msg, need views/comments

I Built a PC for my uncle.

He says that he always gets the err msg "The computer you are dialing is not responding"

After he clicks the dial up connection in Windows. He hears the dialtone, then the computer dialing, and then the handshake.

I told him that the problem is with the ISP NOT with modem.

Am I wrong or right??? I know its a pretty common problem with Dial Ups.

Need any comments. Any suggestions as to what I should check???

Thanks

EDIT: Oh ya its running Win98 SE
Old 29th May, 2002, 10:45 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

You might be wrong...

The error message "The computer you are dialing is not responding" just means that the PC didn't get the "CONNECT" response from the modem in the time that it waited.

This can be caused by a number of things...

Typically, it's because the modem fails to negotiate with the modem at the other end. This could be because of a protocol mismatch (very unlikely), line noise preventing the modems completing the negotiation without errors (very likely), or a defect with the modem or line.

Another possible issue is having the incorrect driver, so that Windows is looking for the wrong response from the modem. Inevitably, this wrong response never comes, so the PC gives up.

Lastly, it's possible, but unlikely, that the modem is faulty.

Is it an external modem or internal modem? If it's an external modem, it's also possible that there could be a problem with the cable.

AidanII
Old 29th May, 2002, 02:11 PM

Its a brand new EXTERNAL DLink modem........

Thanks Aidan......L double check the installation of the modem

Aside from static in the line, are there any other issues regarding the phone line I should look at??? I.e. If the line is an extension or not???
Old 29th May, 2002, 02:35 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Quote:
Originally posted by JayJay
Its a brand new EXTERNAL DLink modem........

Thanks Aidan......L double check the installation of the modem

Aside from static in the line, are there any other issues regarding the phone line I should look at??? I.e. If the line is an extension or not???
If you hear the negotiation and it sounds good, hard to explain it shouldn't be a problem, but try and plug it into the main socket in your house, and disconnect any other devices, specially sky digital boxes
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:23 PM

Hey Aidan and bobb1nz,

Guess what, when I listened to the modem trying to make the connection, it sounded bad. Sounded "staticky". But when we listend to the line without the modem trying to attempt a connection, it sounded fine. Any ideas????

Heres the situation:

First modem I tried was an internal modem: err msg "No dialtone"

SO I THOUGHT IT WAS THE MODEM. SO I INSTALLED AN EXTERNAL ONE

Second modem was the external modem: err msg "The computer you are dialing is not answering"

Funny thing is that when both the internal and external modem tried to attempt the connection, in both instances, the line sounded STATICky.
BUT when we lifted the phone to listen to the line. It sounded kinda fine.

Any idea guys??? I'm beginning to conclude that it might be the line.
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:25 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Have you tried

1. A different phone socket?
2. A different cable, modem>phone line
3. The phone line with NO other devices in

Quote:
Hey Aidan and bobb1nz,

Guess what, when I listened to the modem trying to make the connection, it sounded bad. Sounded "staticky". But when we listend to the line without the modem trying to attempt a connection, it sounded fine. Any ideas????

Heres the situation:

First modem I tried was an internal modem: err msg "No dialtone"

SO I THOUGHT IT WAS THE MODEM. SO I INSTALLED AN EXTERNAL ONE

Second modem was the external modem: err msg "The computer you are dialing is not answering"

Funny thing is that when both the internal and external modem tried to attempt the connection, in both instances, the line sounded STATICky.
BUT when we lifted the phone to listen to the line. It sounded kinda fine.

Any idea guys??? I'm beginning to conclude that it might be the line.
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:43 PM

Alrayt I will do that bobb1nz

well from what I know........i think the phoneline that my uncle is trying to use with the modem is an extension.......

I told him to call the phone company ang check his lines again.

I'll report back to let you guys know what happens.

Thanks man
Old 29th May, 2002, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Alrayt I will do that bobb1nz

well from what I know........i think the phoneline that my uncle is trying to use with the modem is an extension.......

I told him to call the phone company ang check his lines again.

I'll report back to let you guys know what happens.

Thanks man

It definately sounds like it if you're getting "no dialtone" errors
Old 30th May, 2002, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Your phone line could be wired backwards.......... disrupts dsl and ialup-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2002, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
Your phone line could be wired backwards.......... disrupts dsl and ialup-
SPyder
Spyder,

One question: Would the phone still work normally EVEN THOUGH its wired backwards???
Old 30th May, 2002, 07:48 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

one thing to check, happends all the time. Check and make sure that you have the line PLUGGED INTO LINE and NOT phone.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2002, 09:44 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Another possible issue is having the incorrect driver, so that Windows is looking for the wrong response from the modem. Inevitably, this wrong response never comes, so the PC gives up.
It's usually safe to assume that the modem uses the Hayes AT command set, so to rule this out, set windows to use the "Generic 56k" driver. That way it'll respond to any response you get from the modem. You lose trick features like 4:1 compression, voice and fax support, but at least you can test that the computer talks to the modem OK.

Don't trust the Windows modem diagnostics, if you use them - they have been know to report dead modems as alive.

Quote:
Typically, it's because the modem fails to negotiate with the modem at the other end. This could be because of a protocol mismatch (very unlikely), line noise preventing the modems completing the negotiation without errors (very likely), or a defect with the modem or line.
To test this, try to log into the internet using Hyperterminal or an equivalent. This lets you see everything happening behind the scenes: a typical connection would look something like this...
Code:
 ATZ
OK
ATDT<number>

CONNECT 44000

login: <type your username>
password: <type your password>
at this point, you should see a lot of garbage come up on your screen as the server tries to negotiate a PPP connection. Hyperterminal can't handle PPP so just hang up.

If you get this far, then the modem's doing just fine, and it's a software issue. If you don't, then it's still a hardware/phoneline issue.

If it's still the hardware, then take the modem to another house. Connect it to another computer and phoneline, and try again. If it connects there, then line noise might be to blame.
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:48 PM

Hey guys I noticed one more weird thing!!!!

So right now the modem is connected to phoniline then the phone is connected to the modem.

What happened was that when I was talking to someone (Using the phone that was connected to the modem), everytime I turn the modem ON I hear some interferance in the line. When I turn the modem OFF, the interferance goes away.

The inteferance, w/c sounds very much like STATIC, is so great that I couldnt hear the guy in the other end of the line. But when I turn the modem OFF, the line becomes CLEAR once again.

Im am so

HELP!!!!
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:52 PM
Banned

errr, daimn, that's kind of got me stumped

so it's going phone>modem>line

when the modem's off it'll be a straight connection through, should be the same when them modem's on, but it sounds like something's inducing some interference in the connection, now I dont know the internal workings of a modem, but is the static / interference constant, like a buzz, or random?
Old 31st May, 2002, 02:57 PM

Im so stuped too!!!

the interferance sound like this: ssshhhhhshshshshshsssssshhhhhshshshhhssshhhhhhh

More of a Static like sound. NOT high pitched like a buzz.

Im like, What the hell!!!????

And ya, I know that: there shouldnt be any interferance in the line even though you keep on switching the modem ON and OFF while you're conversing with someone.

Its an external modem btw.
Old 31st May, 2002, 03:03 PM

So, from what I observe, As of now I can conclude that: The MODEM is the one producing the static on the line. How is that possible????

Old 31st May, 2002, 03:54 PM
Banned

I'm not entirely sure, infact, I have no idea!
Old 5th June, 2002, 03:43 PM

Are there any other devices on the line (ie phone, fax, other modems, answerphone?) If so, remove all of them, and try again. If it still falls over, then I think you have a poorly modem.
Old 6th June, 2002, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all your advice guys

I think its the board........its an ECS K7VTA3 (KT333)

Clue 1: I installed the modem in a diff. PC and it worked

Clue 2: Installed a different "tried and tested: modem in the PC I built and it DIDNT work

Funny that the board was completely stable......using prime95 and looping 3DMARK 2001.

Gona have the mobo exchanged since its still under warranty.
Old 6th June, 2002, 11:24 AM

When you tried the modem on a different computer, did you use the same cable?