AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2001, 06:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The LED's on hubs. Whassup?

I have a Lynksys 10/100 autosensing 5-port hub, with a switched uplink port. You can't use the port that's right next to the uplink port if the uplink port is being used, which is normal, AFAIK. Each port has two LED's, one that tells you that a port is connected to a NIC, and the other flashes when there is activity through that port.

Is it normal for the LED's to not correspond with the ID number of the port that's in use? In other words, if I use port #5 the LED's for port #3 may light up, but not the LED's for port #5. Then the uplink port's LED's may remain dark, yet port #2's LED's light up, and the uplink works normally, even though its LED's don't light up at all.

Is this just the way hubs work? An inquiring nerd would like to know. Thanks!
Old 14th October, 2001, 10:51 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
You can't use the port that's right next to the uplink port if the uplink port is being used, which is normal, AFAIK.
For your hub, yes this is correct. The uplink port and the port next to it are actually the same port, but the uplink connector has been crossed over so you don't need to use a crossover cable.

Quote:
Is it normal for the LED's to not correspond with the ID number of the port that's in use? In other words, if I use port #5 the LED's for port #3 may light up, but not the LED's for port #5. Then the uplink port's LED's may remain dark, yet port #2's LED's light up, and the uplink works normally, even though its LED's don't light up at all.
No, this is not normal. It suggests there's a fault with circuitry that deals with the LEDs. The hub will continue to work, as the circuit that lights the LEDs is different to the circuit that actually does the networking. If you've obtained it recently, I'd take it back and get a replacement!

AidanII
Old 14th October, 2001, 02:11 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

LOL. That's funny. Some guy at the factory must have screwed up and connected the wires wrong. If it's new, take it back. If it's old, get some masking tape and write the correct numbers above the lights.

BTW, this assumes it's consistant. If it's not consistant as to which light goes on, it may some circuitry is actually bad.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 04:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
LOL. That's funny. Some guy at the factory must have screwed up and connected the wires wrong. If it's new, take it back. If it's old, get some masking tape and write the correct numbers above the lights.
Most of the 4/5 port hubs use a single chip as the hub, and a seperate decoder for the lights. The hub controller just outputs a serial stream of bits to the decoder, which then lights the correct (or incorrect!) LED. It sounds like the decoder in his hub isn't sync'd up to the serial bitstream right.

It's not actually possible to connect the wires wrong, as it's all integrated on the board! It can only be a fault with the hub. ):

AidanII
Old 14th October, 2001, 05:20 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Geez, I'm 0 for 2 so far today. Yet again, I stand corrected by Aiden II. I think it's time for me to stop hypothesizing

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2001, 08:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for your replies, everyone. It's too late to return it to the retailer and I don't feel like paying for the RMA shipping. As I also don't want to be hub-less I think I'll just live with the lovable(weyell, not exactly!) quirkiness of my Linksys. The thing works just fine, and it's a cutesy tiny little model that really doesn't have room for tags that tell the correct port number, so there's no beef. Except that raised by my Teutonic heritage. The little Hitler lives in most unenlightened people--that's me! Nonetheless, he should be laughed at rather than listened to!

Shucks. I was hoping that this was a common hub ailment. You should have my luck with all PC components. NOT!

Thanks again!