AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th October, 2001, 03:42 AM

Talking DSL goodyz on the way, yippy

Ok now, I have been waiting for DSL to get in my area and NOW it is, about time.

3 weeks till it the modem gets here

Verizon.

Couple of questions.

What is a good ethernet card and the cheapest way to network my to sys's together?

I think that all 4 now
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2001, 04:16 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I like Realtek chipsets and I would recommend a hub even if you only have two computers. It's more upgradable. If you want to have internet on both you'll need a router. I like the Netgear RT314. Here's a link: www.netgear.com

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2001, 09:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

As long as both boxes have their own NIC, a router FOR A LAN isn't necessary. A hub will work just fine. This assumes that the DSL modem you'll get performs as a router as well. Hubs are cheaper than LAN routers, as well as Switches. If you need a LAN router-- period, they really are superior to Switches and Hubs! Nonetheless, a DSL modem(with simple router capability), a hub, and two NIC's will allow both boxes to get online. Individually or simultaneously.
You'll need one CAT5 cable for each box's NIC. Make sure that you shop wisely for CAT5 cable! The stuff costs ~$10 for a 25 footer at the right places. Stinkin' Best Buy wanted ~$1 per foot, the last time I looked.

Maybe folks here can tell you if the DSL modem you'll get also has simple router capability. I have no idea what Verizon is supplying in the way of a DSL modem/router. I do know that an external DSL modem/router is nearly mandatory if you want to be able to go online while using Linux.

I suggest NOT paying for a lot of months in advance with any DSL ISP, or dial-up ISP for that matter. Companies fold or get bought by larger companies that can change how the service that you already paid for works, and how much it costs.

Chances are good that another DSL ISP will offer their services after you get hooked in to Verizon. I'm afraid that Verizon doesn't have an enviable reputation as a DSL ISP. As soon as Jim-Bob's DSL ISP is available in your area, I'd think about jumping the Verizon ship.
Let's hope that you'll like Verizon!

PC's are funny about NIC's aka LAN PCI cards. If you're lucky, ~$20 Netgear's will work just fine. Not all boxes like Netgear NIC's though. If a Netgear works, they are the fastest NIC's!

Otherwise, it's A Number 1 NIC, for ~$10. Or Intel, 3com, etc for $40+. An unknown brand isn't always a bad thing! Make sure that you don't get a 10 Base T NIC. Make sure that it's a 10/100!

Hubs are from ~$15 to ~$180. Switches(it means a Switched[intelligent] hub) are ~$26 to ~$70. Routers are ~~$80 to the stratosphere.
Old 16th October, 2001, 11:46 PM

well... I guess we might disagree Cloasters...

But only on the 10Bt & 10/100Bt issue... just that I can usually find a 3com or intel 10Bt for $10-ish... and that is WAY faster than my ADSL @ 640KPS...

Unless the network will also be used for gaming 10Bt is enough... Really though, 10/100 is still not that much $$ & all the cables & routers & all are 10/100 already...

BTW, buy your stuff from BUY.COM... Dave, say, "buy.com" for 4.95 you can get up to a 20 foot Belkin CAT5 ($11 for a 50').. It might be magenta or something but you should see my network... orange, yellow, red, blue, green... (hey it makes it easy to trace a cable)... they are all belkin & all from buy.com... And you can save on shipping if you order NICs & Hub at the same time...

FWIW, I have a Cisco ADSL router/modem plugged into a linksys hub (all 7 ports & uplink are full)... I am getting about 720kps downstream...

Good luck Dave...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 17th October, 2001, 03:57 AM

Thanks guyz

I ave a while B 4 it gets here.

The will share just for D/L stuff and sending F@H W/U's.

Bird is mainly just for f@h.

Duron is for gaming and all else.

Oh and would it be somthing like this?

http://store.yahoo.com/comready/4porhub3netc.html
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 17th October, 2001, 06:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

When I was in Manhatten, Verizon were providing an "ADSL Modem" which was actually a bridge. They provided two IP addresses that didn't have to be contigious, which suggests they really are bridging rather than routing.

Of course, you're not in Manhatten, so it may not be the same!

AidanII