AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th October, 2001, 04:28 AM
eobard

How do I get my internet speed back

How do I do it? (get my speed back) Several months ago someone at Oc.com posted asking people to go to a specific site and run the speed tests there to determine our upload and download speeds. At the time My down was 1567 and my up was 317. Lately my machine has been as sluggish as... well as something that is very sluggish indeed. I went back and tested my machine and got 190 down and 102 up!!! I though the time might have made a difference, different amounts of people online at different times of day. To test that I went to the site with my backup machine and tested. My results were 1587 down and 194 up. My main machine is super slow. How do I get my speed back. I don't doubt that I've got all kinds of gunk and kudd bogging down my system but I don't want to do a complete system reinstall. What's the best way to get my internet setup clean, lean and mean again without a full reinstall? My os is 98FE and I'm using internet explorer v5.5.
Old 16th October, 2001, 05:49 PM

Have you tried the registry tweaks at www.speedguide.net

Its worth a shot.

For what it's worth, my comcast@home has gone to total crap over the last few months. Its literally 3 times slower than it was when i first signed on. They just keep signing people up, but they don't upgrade/expand their networks. Oh well, I'm going to give DSL a try this week... hopefully it works better.
Old 16th October, 2001, 06:53 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune5k
Have you tried the registry tweaks at www.speedguide.net

Its worth a shot.
I tried it. I shot. It shot back. My system got no faster but now I have the joy of having graphics refuse to display even though I deinstalled the "improvements" and reset things back to the way they were. Check my example below. The system is being nice to me right now, since my "improvements" it usually been much worse.
Attached Images

Old 16th October, 2001, 11:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

try this: www.cyberwizardpit.com dl their freeware tweak. it works better than speedguides tweaks. just undo those first before you install this tweak.
Old 17th October, 2001, 12:51 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Have you tried the magical format command? It solves all my problems

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th October, 2001, 01:28 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
Have you tried the magical format command? It solves all my problems
Many times in the past. And very soon I'm going to try it again. Then I'm going to think.....

If I continue with that train of thought I will get banned from here and deservedly so so let me just conclude with my most recent screen shot of what I now deal with:
Attached Images

Old 17th October, 2001, 03:26 AM
Systems Administrator

Did you try the "Detect Network Settings" link? Yeah, right. Try rebuilding your winsock file. I've never done this but it will probably solve your problems.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th October, 2001, 05:33 AM

uh, delete and reintall the tcip?
Old 17th October, 2001, 05:46 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
uh, delete and reintall the tcip?
Going to re-do everything, it'll give me a chance to straighten out a few other things that weren't right but weren't annoying enough to cause a reinstall alone, stupid ATI can't make drivers worth wiping your aahhh hhh hh hi Daniel~, we were just talking about the weather here! Honestly we were.

Last edited by eobard; 17th October, 2001 at 05:53 AM.
Old 18th October, 2001, 12:10 AM
Systems Administrator

The new 7189 drivers are awesome! Simply amazing. Great stuff. Better than the 7075's even!

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
The new 7189 drivers are awesome! Simply amazing. Great stuff. Better than the 7075's even!
really? they killed my system for some reason. I had to go back to the old drivers.
Old 20th October, 2001, 02:37 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman

really? they killed my system for some reason. I had to go back to the old drivers.
Yeah, they are sweet. Did you download them from ATI?

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 21st October, 2001, 07:13 AM

I've downloaded drivers from rage3d and ati.
Old 18th November, 2001, 01:53 AM

Re: How do I get my internet speed back

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
How do I do it? (get my speed back) Several months ago someone at Oc.com posted asking people to go to a specific site and run the speed tests there to determine our upload and download speeds. At the time My down was 1567 and my up was 317. Lately my machine has been as sluggish as... well as something that is very sluggish indeed. I went back and tested my machine and got 190 down and 102 up!!! I though the time might have made a difference, different amounts of people online at different times of day. To test that I went to the site with my backup machine and tested. My results were 1587 down and 194 up. My main machine is super slow. How do I get my speed back. I don't doubt that I've got all kinds of gunk and kudd bogging down my system but I don't want to do a complete system reinstall. What's the best way to get my internet setup clean, lean and mean again without a full reinstall? My os is 98FE and I'm using internet explorer v5.5.
Eobard, do you have that link handy? I'm new to cable and I have no idea how fast I'm up/down! Thanks!
Old 18th November, 2001, 04:59 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

http://www.toast.net/performance/index.asp

AND

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

These are the two I use.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th November, 2001, 05:13 AM

Very Cool! Thanks, Daniel.
Old 18th November, 2001, 06:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Anytime at all":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th November, 2001, 07:22 AM
eobard

Well I've been scooped. http://www.dslreports.com/tools was the one I used. Daniel ~ beat me to it. Oh wait, he's in charge. Sorry JAWS.

Btw: Just for those keeping score, I did do my reinstall. I'm now getting 511 by 182. Not good, but tolerable.

Last edited by eobard; 18th November, 2001 at 07:28 AM.
Old 18th November, 2001, 03:02 PM
AOA Staff

thats wacky dood, your gettin twice the bandwidth on a different machine?, have you checked the cablesfor kinks? , maybe tried a different NIC?, somethin is amiss here. how many PC's you got on the lan?
Old 18th November, 2001, 07:53 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
thats wacky dood, your gettin twice the bandwidth on a different machine?, have you checked the cablesfor kinks? , maybe tried a different NIC?, somethin is amiss here. how many PC's you got on the lan?
If you're refering to my 511 by 182 comment I meant 511 down by 182 up. I just ran it on both. My Duron got 517 by 194 while my K6-2 got 1630 by 406. The network cards are identical. The cables are good, but different brands, I never thought about switching them. Going to try that. I've only got these two machines and the firewall they both go through.

***edit: just tried a different cable, and hub port, I got 545 by 182, no significant change. Nice suggestion though.

Last edited by eobard; 18th November, 2001 at 08:00 PM.