AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2001, 10:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Anybody know when 802.11a comes out?

I need wireless soon, and I want to wait till a comes out, but I can't wait that much longer....
Old 28th October, 2001, 10:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, the present home or biz wireless network equipment has the Achille's heel of being S L O W. 28.8 kbps, if I heard right. And it's also a security nightmare.

I asume that the 802.11a standard will remedy some of these drawbacks. Would you be kind enough to give us a bit of info, please? Thanks!
Old 29th October, 2001, 12:13 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

And it's more expensive too! Why buy something that is plauged by problems and more expensive. Simply does not make sense to me. And anyway, colored ethernet cable really does brighten up a house's appearance

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 01:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

hmm.. it isnt fast?
i didnt know that i can figure out the security aspects thou
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 02:00 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber
hmm.. it isnt fast?
i didnt know that i can figure out the security aspects thou
11kbps in the best conditions. But my ethernet is rated at 100kbps and i usually get like cable speed (200 kilobytes per second) with many small files and about 1 megabyte per second with big files. You never get what's rated. So if you get the same preportion, divide 2 megabytes per second max by 20 and you get 100 kilobytes per second on large files and 20 kilobytes per second on small files. That's even high I think. So let's just say it's slow.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 29th October, 2001, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

11kbps in the best conditions. But my ethernet is rated at 100kbps and i usually get like cable speed (200 kilobytes per second) with many small files and about 1 megabyte per second with big files. You never get what's rated. So if you get the same preportion, divide 2 megabytes per second max by 20 and you get 100 kilobytes per second on large files and 20 kilobytes per second on small files. That's even high I think. So let's just say it's slow.
Yeah whatever you say Superman ....
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 29th October, 2001, 04:00 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber

Yeah whatever you say Superman ....
Follow that phiber Anyway, my point was that since ethernet is already a little slow, wireless must be at least 10 times slower.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 29th October, 2001, 04:11 AM

Quote:

Follow that phiber Anyway, my point was that since ethernet is already a little slow, wireless must be at least 10 times slower.
But life cannot be assumed...
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 29th October, 2001, 07:03 AM

11Mbit is well over 1MB in speed. the 802.11a will be 57Mbit's which will be more than fast enough for casual network file transfers and more than enough for broadband. I need it because a.my house is a brick high vaulted house that's really old and classic and multiple stories high, and running the cables everywhere isn't possible at this time, and b. Alot of time is spent in the living room on a chair on a laptop, so no wires would be preferable. The only huge dowside I see to it is my house is so dense that signals don't go in and out too well. :/
Old 29th October, 2001, 12:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

802.11/b runs at 11Mbits/sec max, just a shade over the speed of 10BaseT ethernet. Internal cards generally have internal antennas which pick up a poorer signal, and have a tendancy to run slightly slower due to less signal. Some vendors are claiming 15% performance increase using an internal antenna. Cisco appear to manufacture the fastest cards followed by Intermec

The 802.11b extensions should provide up to 22Mbit/sec

802.11a runs up to 54Mbit/sec. I've heard that Intel intends to ship 802.11a cards in the second half of 2002.

WiLAN have wireless broadband cells running at 192Mbit/sec

AidanII
Old 29th October, 2001, 01:20 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
802.11/b runs at 11Mbits/sec max, just a shade over the speed of 10BaseT ethernet. Internal cards generally have internal antennas which pick up a poorer signal, and have a tendancy to run slightly slower due to less signal. Some vendors are claiming 15% performance increase using an internal antenna. Cisco appear to manufacture the fastest cards followed by Intermec

The 802.11b extensions should provide up to 22Mbit/sec

802.11a runs up to 54Mbit/sec. I've heard that Intel intends to ship 802.11a cards in the second half of 2002.

WiLAN have wireless broadband cells running at 192Mbit/sec

AidanII
OK, I was talking about 802.11b. I still think you see a lot less of the rated from wireless than from landline because of the signal loss. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Just seems to be slower and more grumpy to me.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 29th October, 2001, 04:03 PM

Quote:

OK, I was talking about 802.11b. I still think you see a lot less of the rated from wireless than from landline because of the signal loss. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Just seems to be slower and more grumpy to me.
Wireless does suffer from signal quality problems especially with internal antennas. It works very well in ideal conditions, but who has ideal conditions? In the absence of ideal conditions, it copes pretty well with interferance and more. Remember that it's having to cope with technologies like Bluetooth, Cordless phones, video senders and microwave ovens all using the same frequencies!

A physical cable doesn't suffer from any of these constraints, so is much more likely to operate at it's "rated" speed.

AidanII
Old 29th October, 2001, 09:43 PM

well, this being a brick house will probably kill signal. it kill outside signals at least. My cell phone is lucky to get one signal bar in my room...fm radio sucks down here without a good antenna..but both those are outside signals...Dunno. wireless would be nice, really nice for it's purpous that I need it for, but 2nd half '02 is a long time...dang it.
Old 31st October, 2001, 05:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

There's a pretty good article at the top of Anandtech's front page(Oct 31) that investigates some home networking options, including 802.11b. It also has a bit about the new 802.11a and PNA/2 home networking. It should be helpful!

In case you need the URL: www.anandtech.com .
Old 1st November, 2001, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it.
Old 1st November, 2001, 11:18 AM

Ok, on 802.11a, it would appear SMC are pushing forward on this...

Check
this link out. It's SMC's adapter that allegedly supports 72Mbps.

Only thing is I can't find anywhere selling them yet!

AidanII
Old 3rd November, 2001, 09:40 AM

that looks sweet! works on the 5GHz range...if I could find one I would get it..