AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2002, 10:49 PM

Turning off passwords in XP?

I want to turn off the username and password requirements in Windows XP. Anytime I build a new computer and set it up, I like connecting to my main computer to copy some necessary install programs, instead of downloading them and finding them. Problem is, I have to go to my main computer and add a user account with that computer's login and password. Annoying, to say the least. How can I set Windows XP so it doesn't ask for a user name and password when I have someone connect to my computer?
Old 2nd September, 2002, 03:28 PM

What OS are you connecting to your machine??
Cant you just setup a guest account on xp and let all the machines use that.
Old 2nd September, 2002, 04:32 PM

Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows 2000. Any time any of them try to connect, they get prompted for a password if I don't have them in my user list. ANd I've tried the guest account, but it doesn't seem to work, at least, I've never been able to make it work. If I activate the guest account, it still asks them for a password.
Old 2nd September, 2002, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

You just need to take the Win Xp cd to each machine and run the network startup wizzard- im quessing this would be the fix based on a quess your main machine is XP-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th September, 2002, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
You just need to take the Win Xp cd to each machine and run the network startup wizzard- im quessing this would be the fix based on a quess your main machine is XP-
Spyder
And this will get rid of the need for other users to log into my computer with a username and login?
Old 5th September, 2002, 09:27 AM

hhmmmmmm
is there an option somewhere in windows xp to set the machine to
users do not need to enter a password to use this machine. I'll have a look
Old 7th September, 2002, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by loop
hhmmmmmm
is there an option somewhere in windows xp to set the machine to users do not need to enter a password to use this machine. I'll have a look
THAT's what I'm looking for! I was unable to find it.
Old 7th September, 2002, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

THAT's what I'm looking for! I was unable to find it.
From what I've found out so far, you will have to be using XP Pro to do what you want:
Quote:
I suggest you use: Start > Run > control userpasswords2 > OK to create user accounts. You can then easily set the properties to assign them groupmembership to any built-in or specially created group. Then use the Security tab to assign or deny that group rights to folders as described by Rob.
It sounds like you are using Home ed., so I din't think you can do it. If you boot into the safe mode, you can remove the accounts you have setup if you have set up administrator's rights. Remember that the password is blank by default, as I recall.

Onto solving your problem of loging on, etc.; have you thought of burning some CD's? That's what I do, as I have set up machines in remote locations without access and I had to 'bring it all with me' in the first place.
HTH!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2002, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
It sounds like you are using Home ed
No sir, using Pro. However, I'm in the process of moving right now, and my computer may not be up for a few days. I won't have DSL at home until Sept 11 (OMG NEVAR FORGET!), so I probably won't worry about setting it up until then. But I'll look into your info.
Old 8th September, 2002, 12:50 AM

Ok, let us know howz it workin!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 15th September, 2002, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
Spyder
I tried using the Network Setup Disk on a second machine I just setup, (Both are on XP Pro) and I still can't connect across. In fact, I setup a user account for the user name I have logged into the second computer (but no passwords on the user accounts), and I can't access.

Since I still don't have Internet at home, I'll print out Uncle Bob's suggestion, and look into it, although it's a bit confusing just reading it. Perhaps it'll make more sense when I'm looking at the screens.
Old 15th September, 2002, 08:22 PM

FOUND MY ANSWER!

A NOTE TO ALL: "SIMPLE" DOES NOT MEAN "FOR STUPID PEOPLE!!"

Found my answer.

I always turn off simple file sharing. I didn't know what it was, and just assumed that because it said (recommended), it meant (default values for stupid people who don't know what they're doing). Turns out, as the link above will verify, it doesn't use default, or any, values. Because it pretty much removes all the security and need for people logging in.

Who's stupid now? (Hint: Me.)