AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2002, 05:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Free DNS Service?

Up until recently I have been using DNS2GO.COM to spoof my IP as pabstfiles.myip.com I received an e-mail that says they will start charging $10.00 per month for what they had been giving away for free. I'm not paying.

Who do you guys use for this type of service? I know there are several out there.

Wasn't sure where to put this Daniel so here it sits in R/N.
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Southern Man; 27th September, 2002 at 05:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2002, 10:18 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Hmm...I don't know of any free dynamic DNS services anymore. At one point, they were all free. Now they're all charging. $10 a month though, is kind of heinous. Most of them are around $25 per year I believe. Use a google search for dynamic DNS service and pick the one you like.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2002, 10:46 PM
Banned

Try www.dyndns.org... I was using them until I sold my web server a few months back.
Old 28th September, 2002, 12:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I just use my dads work what does DNS do?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 29th September, 2002, 07:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

dydns is like 10$ for life. I use that because they cant get the ubr straight for my modem.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 30th September, 2002, 05:29 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the direction guys. The one I was using had a client that started up when I logged in and it pinged the server every minute or so to keep up with the dynamic IP. I'm looking into some of the ones you all have posted and will make some decision soon. Looks like most of them don't put a client on the box. I need to get my cable account moved first and then I'll deal with thin.

Thanx again.
----------------------------------------------

Old 6th October, 2002, 01:57 AM

i used to use Dynu Basic until i payed subscribed to their premium service for 25$ a year.

they also have a 30 day trial for the premium and their tech support are awsome.

before that i used ZoneEdit.

here's what i gathered:

Quote:
The pricing structure is:

Free - first 5 domains added with under 200MB usage each
$10.95 - 1 zone credit
$49.95 - 10 zone credits
$99.95 - 25 zone credits
$349.95 - 100 zone credits

* You only get debited when you add a zone to the system. Unused credits never expire. Usage that counts towards your quota includes bytes transferred during DNS queries, delivery of parked home pages, delivery of URL forwarding information, and delivery of forwarded e-mails. If you do not use WebPark, WebForward and MailForward, then only DNS queries will count towards your total usage.

For example if a single domain goes over 200 MB of transfer during a year, then it counts as TWO domains, if it goes over 400MB, then it counts as three, etc. Usually DNS hits are cached, so even the busiest sites won't go over the 200 MB limit. 200 MB should get you about 1,000,000 DNS queries. A typical site uses 5 MB per year of DNS bandwidth.

There is no limit to the number of subdomains or records that your zone may contain.
If you go over your credit limits, we will send a billing notice. Free users can always cancel their account without obligation after receiving a billing notice.

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Old 9th December, 2002, 06:22 PM

no-ip.org has a free dns service
Old 11th December, 2002, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
I just use my dads work what does DNS do?
Domian
Name
Service

What that does is map an IP adress to a human word
so when you type in www.aoaforums.com, a DNS querry is sent to your DNS server that your ISP provides you with.

The DNS server will then find the name in its database (or ask a higher level DNS server if it cant find the name) and provide an IP adress for you being 216.12.210.219

so you can either type
http://aoaforums.com or
http://216.12.210.219
to get here

null