AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Devices and Networking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/36-mobile-devices-and-networking/)
-   -   Network's file server (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/mobile-devices-and-networking/29896-networks-file-server.html)

XeroHouR 9th March, 2005 07:11 PM

Network's file server

What would be better for a file server on a small(5 computer) network, and Intel based or amd based? If amd, does 64 bit really matter? Opteron anyone? How much does a processor really come into play if I have Raid and 10krpm drives? I've discovered I know nothing about servers, so anything you can offer would be great. Oh and I'm not too far against using Linux based servers, as long as it wont cry about being on the same network as 4 Win boxes.

Oh and do file servers need over a gig of memory? Or is this mostly for gaming servers?

danrok 9th March, 2005 07:24 PM

Are you looking to use a 'real' file server or just a high-spec workstation acting as a fileserver?

What will the server actual do?

XeroHouR 9th March, 2005 07:52 PM

I'm using it for fast remote storage of movies, software, applications for access on the home network, maybe when I build my HTPC I'll network it with movies on the file server. Just basically a few(by that I mean a lot of )gigs of off desk storage(since that much heat would slow down the overclocks :) ). I looked at MP systems, and thats pretty rediculous for a modified athlon XP(by modified I mean the same...)

danrok 9th March, 2005 08:05 PM

So, it is just going to be a PC which will provide network storage for your other machines - not really a server. Dual CPU servers normally run server side applications and carry out all manner of processing tasks. By the sound of it you won't be needing that.

For your purposes, I would mainly focus on data throughput. In other words, fast drives using RAID striping and gigabit LAN (for those big movie files). 1 GB of RAM should be ample and a single processor.

Try to get something like an nForce 3 or 4 board for the server, which has a true gigabit LAN. The nVidia firewall will also be a nice thing to have.

GrahamGarside 9th March, 2005 08:29 PM

It depends on how fast you need it to be, if the most it's going to be taxed is all 5 systems streaming video at the same time, then even a single drive would easily cope with this, over even 100mbit networking.
What sort of files are likely to be stored on it? how often will lots of speed be needed? Is it likely that all 5 systems will need lots of throughput at the same time?
If the most it's to be used for is streaming video, then a cheap sempron system with about 256mb ram, gigabit ethernet, and a couple of SATA drives, mirrored for safety rather than striped for speed will do, even if you need to stream 5 dvd quality videos

Theres no problem netorking linux with windows, samba can be used to create windows netwroking shares

danrok 9th March, 2005 08:42 PM

Linux would be ideal for such purposes and cheap if not free.

SuSe is good if you are a Linux noob:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...661730-4885400

..and it is 64-bit!

XeroHouR 10th March, 2005 12:54 AM

i am a linux noob :) so the proc could be a 754 sempron and be ok, and the drives would just have to be fast? If the full network isn't gigabit, it wont do me a ton of good to have gigabit on there, but it could be there for future purposes.

Pitch 10th March, 2005 01:02 AM

Give FreeBSD a try, if you can configure it. Great fun. ;)

XeroHouR 10th March, 2005 01:17 AM

tbh, the more i think about it, the less fast i think it has to be, more or less just a lot of storage. Any consensous on into or amd just for general use, some speed is still obviously necissary, but I think mostly mass storage is more important....

GrahamGarside 10th March, 2005 01:29 AM

The only thing that would make intel preferable to amd is it's thermal protection should the cooling fail, which ic more of an issue with systems that aren't monitored often like a file server.
Just get a s754 sempron 2600+, a good board which allows you to lower the voltage (these semprons don't support cool'n'quiet so it will need to be via the board) and turn the voltage down and cool it passively.
The storage is definately going to be the bottleneck, think about it even with gigabit ethernet, thats only 133mb/s, theres no way a modern cpu and memory will struggle to keep up with those requirements and 2 modern sata drives striped would also reach that ceiling, though you may want to consider a RAID mode with redundancy for such a system

danrok 10th March, 2005 02:15 PM

RAID 5 would be best.

surlyjoe 10th March, 2005 03:46 PM

why not get a 300gb cat-5 or USB drive?

danrok 10th March, 2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surlyjoe
why not get a 300gb cat-5 or USB drive?

I was thinking the same thing. There's so many to choose from now.

XeroHouR 10th March, 2005 07:21 PM

Well with any luck I'll be able to keep adding hard drives to it, hopefully pushing on a terabyte of storage somewhere way down the line. I'm retiring my stacker from my primary use into the storage dept, so I can add as many hard drives as one motherboard can support I'm sure ;). Raid 5 is a very possible eventuallity. The other apt members might pitch in a few bucks for some storage. The whole case can hold something like 11 or 15 hard drives I'm pretty sure, if I did all 74Gb or even 36Gb 10k RPM SATAs with that many of them, thats lots of storage :D

GrahamGarside 10th March, 2005 07:26 PM

forget raptors, thats overkill and newer sata drives are catching them up in performance any way, grab your self maxtor 10's, theres about a 20% performance differance which won't matter if you stripe them as you will hit the limit of gigabit ethernet first and you will save a ton

XeroHouR 10th March, 2005 07:31 PM

did i say raptors? :-X
Ha also I wont have a need for a heater during the winter, I can just move it into my room and set it next to my bed, I think its the same hieght as a radiator(not water cooling...room warming).

GrahamGarside 10th March, 2005 08:32 PM

I know of no other 10K rpm sata drive in those capacitys
a single raptor is noisy, a raid array of them would be aweful