AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Devices and Networking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/36-mobile-devices-and-networking/)
-   -   Apple...transparent LCD (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/mobile-devices-and-networking/30609-apple-transparent-lcd.html)

chrisbard 20th April, 2005 03:33 PM

Apple...transparent LCD

1 Attachment(s)
What about that???

danrok 20th April, 2005 03:36 PM

Do the sausages come with it?

tottyspotter 20th April, 2005 03:38 PM

Forget the sausages, how about the coffee? I'm majorly tired.

chrisbard 20th April, 2005 03:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And some more...cause I like the comments

hoinar 20th April, 2005 04:18 PM

nice! can someone spell the price?! :P

Lazgoat 20th April, 2005 06:42 PM

Nice, but whats the benefit, if any?...other than distraction of the goings on behind your display? :)

Daniel ~ 20th April, 2005 06:52 PM

It let's you see your monitor without having to look around your...monitor...?
Very cool but I couldn't use one, would make me crazy trying to stay focused...":O}

Rondog 20th April, 2005 11:46 PM

I wonder if thats been applied to military technology as yet?

Sure I can spell price: p-r-i-c-e, price

danrok 21st April, 2005 12:00 AM

ROFL! The pictures are fakes.

Rondog 21st April, 2005 02:57 AM

How can you tell?

kellamne 21st April, 2005 03:03 AM

Is a good hoax though especially getting the cat to stay there; o and the multiple screens is quality

Daniel ~ 21st April, 2005 03:08 AM

If you guys are going to cheat I'm not going to play! ":O}

Rondog 21st April, 2005 03:21 AM

How can you tell its fake?

kellamne 21st April, 2005 03:24 AM

google Apple transparent LCD

fantomfreq 21st April, 2005 05:37 AM

How can you tell it's false? Think about it: 1 digital camera + 1 computer = "transparent LCD"

dsio 21st April, 2005 07:58 AM

It can be quite easily done though. for several months, BMW have been developing transparent LCD surfaces for car security. The idea is you embed an LCD in the windows, and its clear. Then you can use the car's computer, to adjust the tint of the windows, via the LCD display. So you can have blue, or red or black, or whatever. And you can adjust the tone and darkness of the tint depending on road conditions and sunlight.

Great idea really. In the sun, have a very dark tint, and in overcast or dark weather, you can use a yellow tint, which lightens the road considerably.

The cool thing is, when you lock your car with your little remote thingy, the window tint goes full on. It blocks out any vision into or out of the car, and stays that way until you unlock it with the remote again.

So what happens is, if a theif tries to steal the car, they get in, and even if they can hotwire it, (and seriously anyone smart enough to hotwire a BMW deserves a nobel prize... Ive tried hotwiring mine and almost killed myself) you still cant drive it anyware, because you cant see out the windscreen at all!

And theifs cant see your sunglasses and palm pilot on the seat and decide to break in.

Brillaint idea!

Rondog 21st April, 2005 08:04 AM

Thats cool. You can hotwire any car. You just have to connect the correct wires. :D

dsio 21st April, 2005 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondog
Thats cool. You can hotwire any car. You just have to connect the correct wires. :D

nope.

When the Key is in the ignition, it sends an RF signal to the ECU which is unfakeable, at least without some decent RF equipment. On top of that, all of the wiring that is even remotely related to the ignition system hidden inside the steel adjustor pipe of the steering collumn, and cant be accessed with anything short of a welder. Then theres the secondary immobiliser which is triggered by the remote. Mine is only a lowly 3 series with the standard security system, and even that is impossible. I lost my key and had to wait 2 weeks to have one cut and coded from deuchland. There is nothing you can do about it.

The new 5 and 7 series have tilt detectors, wheel nut removal detectors, forced entry detectors, rain detectors (for winding up windows and closing sunroof in case of rain automatically) and tamper detection kill switches etc etc.

Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, and Jaguar all have similar systems.

Aspiring car thief are we ron? ;)

chrisbard 21st April, 2005 08:50 AM

The pictures are not fake, Danrok was playing around with you guys......lol

Lazgoat 21st April, 2005 03:26 PM

How did they manage it in "Gone in 60 Seconds" then? :rolling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio
nope.

When the Key is in the ignition, it sends an RF signal to the ECU which is unfakeable, at least without some decent RF equipment. On top of that, all of the wiring that is even remotely related to the ignition system hidden inside the steel adjustor pipe of the steering collumn, and cant be accessed with anything short of a welder. Then theres the secondary immobiliser which is triggered by the remote. Mine is only a lowly 3 series with the standard security system, and even that is impossible. I lost my key and had to wait 2 weeks to have one cut and coded from deuchland. There is nothing you can do about it.

The new 5 and 7 series have tilt detectors, wheel nut removal detectors, forced entry detectors, rain detectors (for winding up windows and closing sunroof in case of rain automatically) and tamper detection kill switches etc etc.

keithwalton 21st April, 2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazgoat
How did they manage it in "Gone in 60 Seconds" then? :rolling:

It is what is known as a movie and the motion pictures may not allways represent real life :ying:

dsio 21st April, 2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithwalton
It is what is known as a movie and the motion pictures may not allways represent real life :ying:

Also note that in gone in 60 seconds, they didnt steal any germans, or alfas, or new jaguars (1 E type but that is a bit too old to count). They ripped the mercedes, by ordering keys from the dealership... because they said the car was "unstealable".

Its not unstealable... Its just that the equipment you need to knock it off costs more than the car itself. And the car itself costs enough as it is.

Daniel ~ 21st April, 2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard
The pictures are not fake, Danrok was playing around with you guys......lol

If you guys are going the chea.... Been there done that! ":O}

Logan 21st April, 2005 10:55 PM

They had the keys ordered through a "contact" of theirs at the dealership.

It really is next to impossible to steal the newer cars these days.

I would also have dared ANYONE to try stealing the radio out of my old car without rendering it useless. Some custom brackets and zip ties made it so that if you pulled too hard, the wires were torn from inside the stereo. That's MY stereo bought with MY money that I EARNED with a real job. If I don't have it, then neither does some low-life worthless thief.

A guy learned this the hard way about half a year ago, after he smashed the window in my convertible at 5am in the morning and I chased him down and sat on him and threatened to beat him with a hammer until the cops showed up.

Don't EVER interrupt a guys nookie at 5am in the morning after he's worked to get it since 10pm. Man I was pissed.

Daniel ~ 21st April, 2005 11:08 PM

Note taken! ":O}

Wolf2000me 22nd April, 2005 02:04 AM

Well, Thieves are already way ahead of all that. When they want to steal a car it's likely they already have a buyer and are looking for a specific one. In that case you will just get carjacked if their eye falls on yours. There's almost nothing you can do unless you have specific anti car jacking systems, if you are paranoid enough to enable it. A friend of mine found out the hard way... He was was almost carjacked but because of the anti carjacking systems the thief had to waste valuable time to break the glass of the car to be able to reach the driver. He got away but later that day when my friend had the window fixed the car was stolen from the BMW garage. Some ppl saw him do it but couldn't stop him. The description of "both" thiefs is almost identical. He just took the keys, took the car and took off. It is quite a big garage store so using confusion and stealth seemed to have done the trick instead of using various "car stealing equipment" :)

Cars these days are mobile pieces of cutting edge technology. But it's still people using them. In that case a car can always be stolen.

OT. I can't really tell if the pics are fake or not but i fail to see the usefullness with desktops or portables :)

Rondog 22nd April, 2005 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio
nope.

nope. Its easier to buy one with stolen money :D

Toro 22nd April, 2005 07:59 AM

and of course to steal a car, you can always just pick it up, take it away and work on it :)

chrisbard 22nd April, 2005 09:07 AM

OK, ok, let's not go deeper in this theft area. It was just about some transparent LCD's. :crazy:

PS Who started this ??? :p

Wolf2000me 22nd April, 2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

OK, ok, let's not go deeper in this theft area. It was just about some transparent LCD's. :crazy:

PS Who started this ??? :p

You're right. Though, as I said. Cars are mobile devices as well :D

chrisbard 22nd April, 2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
You're right. Though, as I said. Cars are mobile devices as well :D

Man, now I can see a clear link ! Shame on me ! :crazy:

hoinar 22nd April, 2005 12:00 PM

Quote:

Man, now I can see a clear link ! Shame on me ! :crazy:

ROFLMAO :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
you and Wolf2000me made my day nice guys!!!

chrisbard 22nd April, 2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoinar
ROFLMAO :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
you and Wolf2000me made my day nice guys!!!

Please edit your post accordingly with what you had in mind:

1. made my day, nice guys :eek:

or

2. made my day nice, guys :thumbsup:

hoinar 24th April, 2005 05:14 PM

no 2 is correct! :)