AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Devices and Networking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/36-mobile-devices-and-networking/)
-   -   PSP Firmware 2.80 out! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/mobile-devices-and-networking/37433-psp-firmware-2-80-out.html)

Daniel ~ 27th July, 2006 11:27 PM

PSP Firmware 2.80 out!

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 27 July 2006
PSP Firmware 2.80 out! Full changelog plus download.
Posted Jul 27, 2006 at 01:56AM by Pranav T.
Listed in: Firmware, News
Tags: Japan, 0okm, Sony, Location Free, UK

Just like Sony promised, the 2.80 Firmware is out! Although not yet listed on all the regional PSP sites, a lot of news tips are coming in that the update is live through the Network Update function in the PSP.

Read Front Page and download the files

raphael2040 28th July, 2006 12:03 AM

I'm still on 1.5. =D

I run all of my games off DevHook. I'm sorry, but I love my homebrews, and can't afford to update.

Quote:

AAC files in ".3gp" extension can now be played.
Wow, I have half a mind to update just for that! Definitely a pro. for PSP users. Can't wait 'til AVI format becomes playable on the PSP! Guess I'll have to wait! =O

Thanks for posting this, Daniel. If you didn't, I probably wouldn't have known about it for a while. >_<

Daniel ~ 28th July, 2006 02:30 AM

It was a lucky find. ":O}

aghastpumpkin 28th July, 2006 08:52 AM

If you have wi-fi, you can automatically update!

Dissapointingly for me this new version does not update the flash player.

GRRRR! FP6 is really old and only FP7 will run videos. GRRR.

Aedan 28th July, 2006 09:08 AM

Yup, if you have Wi-Fi connectivity, then you just need to go to the network update screen, and your PSP will automatically pull the update down and update itself.

Unfortunately, the 1.5 firmware doesn't support WPA, the encryption used on any halfway decent wireless access point.

danrok 28th July, 2006 10:11 AM

I see you can now download music files to the MUSIC folder. That always helps. ;)

raphael2040 28th July, 2006 11:33 AM

AP, just a question.

What, exactly, would you watch in Flash on your PSP?

aghastpumpkin 28th July, 2006 03:10 PM

Websites that have flash movies?
I'm quite partial to my Youtube, you know.

dsio 28th July, 2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Websites that have flash movies?
I'm quite partial to my Youtube, you know.

The fact that the web browser's cache is massively limited, and the fact that the PSP's 802.11B adapter is about as fast as a 14400 baud modem would make your Youtubeing somewhat less than impressive I think.

What I'm after is a JVM and a VPN client for the damned thing. Must admit, the idea of having the PSP as a GPS device in the car is mighty tempting. Nearly all in car GPS toys are converted PDAs, and have those complete rubbish screens. The PSP on the other hand has what is arguably one of the best small screens ever made.

Colour, brightness, and backlight are all perfect, as well as viewable angle, contrast, and update rate. It really would be perfect.

danrok 28th July, 2006 11:38 PM

If you go to the PSP homepage, you'll see there's another game demo for download - World Tour Soccer 2.