AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Devices and Networking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/36-mobile-devices-and-networking/)
-   -   Uploading affects downloading times? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/mobile-devices-and-networking/421-uploading-affects-downloading-times.html)

Walter:-) 5th October, 2001 11:07 AM

Uploading affects downloading times?

Hi all, I've been downloading and uploading a lot in the past 24 hours on my new ADSL line, and I have noticed something strange. If I'm D/L with 25 Kb/s and I start uploading something, my D/L speed falls dramatically, is this normal, or is something set up in a wrong way?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I know nothing about this.
Thanks...

Kris 5th October, 2001 04:24 PM

Not a stupid Q at all...

Had DSL for close to 2 years now... always been slower when uploading/downloading at the same time... used to be better when there were less users... :(

Have Fun!!!

Phiber 5th October, 2001 05:04 PM

with my cable i can max out downloading and uplaoding with no difference

Pinky 5th October, 2001 08:01 PM

I've been told, and I'm new to home networking, but cable modems (and maybe DSL routers) can only perform one function at once, meaning upload or download through the device... it does a great job switching between the 2 which is why most of the time I don't notice.

R0BB23 6th October, 2001 01:38 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i have adsl with a router and i dont see a difference when uploading and dling at the sametime.

burn'em 7th October, 2001 05:57 AM

most likely it not your dsl connection but your network card some(nic) handle uploading and downloading simultaneously better than other. if you have a lan the hub or router could be the bottle neck also. I have noiced some slowing when ul and dl from one machine, but if i ul on one machine and dl on another machine i don't see a slow down.
the application you are using may also affect this. if the ul application uses more resources than the dl application the dl might see some slow down.

Walter:-) 8th October, 2001 10:16 AM

So, is there anything I can do to get around the problem?

burn'em 9th October, 2001 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Walter:-)
So, is there anything I can do to get around the problem?
You have to identify the problem first.
If you don't have a lan just a Network Card you can try a different nic card. to start.

Is your DSL connection through a USB Port? or is it a nic card?

Walter:-) 9th October, 2001 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by burn'em

You have to identify the problem first.
If you don't have a lan just a Network Card you can try a different nic card. to start.

Is your DSL connection through a USB Port? or is it a nic card?

I'm running over lan (only one other computer than mine), and the connection is trough a nic card.

burn'em 9th October, 2001 07:05 PM

Does the other machine have the same problem? If not its you machine or applications. If it does its the hub or router or IP. But at lease with two machine you can trouble shoot it a little easier.

mrpcman 10th October, 2001 09:44 PM

I've never noticed a slowdown with my cable.....