AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Devices and Networking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/36-mobile-devices-and-networking/)
-   -   quick hub question... (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/mobile-devices-and-networking/4707-quick-hub-question.html)

.:N2:. 19th April, 2002 05:56 PM

quick hub question...

ok, i never used a ethernet hub before, and soon i'm gonna hafta, so i have a dumb question that should be easy to answer, i hope :)

when i assemble a network with DSL modem>Router> LAN

i've got that bit down proper, but now a new piece into the equation...

Modem > Router > hub > LAN

i'm gonna use a NAT router, the D-Link model... and an OfficeConnect 8-port hub, autosensing w/ switch.

my main question is...
what will i get when i connect the hub to the router?

does it automatically come alive? configured via the router's NAT?

if not, what will i have to do to make the hub's ports active?

Please, any help is appreciated here... i just don't know what i'm gonna run into and i wanna be prepared in advance.

Pinky 19th April, 2002 07:36 PM

That's exactly what happens. The router assigns the individual ips for the hub ports/pcs. Should be plug and pray for the most part, aside from any port mapping you might have to do on the router.

.:N2:. 19th April, 2002 08:03 PM

Lovely!

plug n' pray is mah main motto!

Aedan 19th April, 2002 10:52 PM

All but the expensive switches have ports that are always enabled. You can't turn them off except by unplugging the cable.

AidanII

Pinky 22nd April, 2002 06:12 PM

So how did this come out? Never got a message from you on ICQ so I assume it went well or so badly you're still down ;)

BongWater 22nd April, 2002 07:35 PM

Hey I'm doing the same thing but my question is more toward the
OS side.

cable modem>router>hub>LAN with 3 PCs

PC1 - WINXP / WIN98SE 2HDD 3 partitions each (currently WIN98SE is system and WINXP is boot)
PC2 - WIN2K 2HDD 3 partitions (2nd HDD empty currently)
PC3 - WINXP 1HDD currently 1 partition with the XP install

All partitions are NTFS except the one the WIN98SE install and one other on that HDD for exchange. Should I dump the WIN98SE and re-install later? And should I delete any of the other partitions to tighten it all up and then re-create as needed after network is setup?

Don't think it really matters much but thought I'd ask.

Aedan 22nd April, 2002 07:50 PM

Doesn't really matter to be honest, as long as you know how it all works!

AidanII

BongWater 22nd April, 2002 07:55 PM

Well I know how it all works separately but not together. But as I said, I didn't think it was a big deal...heck the CAT5 through the ceiling, walls and such was much more work!

Tweakguy 14th May, 2002 08:26 PM

NTFS not necessary

I am fully CCNA certified so trust me when I say this, TCP/IP works the same whether it comes from an NTFS file system, or a Fat32 file system. This is why TCP/IP is so great, you could even connect to a Macintosh, or a Linux box if you want to. Basically you can keep your Win98 setup if you wish. As 1 more word of caution, you may need to use a crossover cable between your router and your hub. PM me or just reply if you need to know how to check if your cable is a cross-over or a straight through.