AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October, 2002, 11:30 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Question Which OS to choose.

My wife is tired of lock ups and crashes on her machine. She asked me which program was screwing her system up and I jokingly responded "Windows". Then she asked if there where any other OSs that she could use instead of Windows 98se (she swithed to Opera6.05 from Netscape about 2 months ago and is very happy with it, so she is open to new programs).

She need to be able to run a web browser, AIM, and Yahoo IM. She wants a windows like graphical interface. Her equipment is as follows:

Iwill KK266 mobo (KT133a chipset, with C-Media on board sound)
1 GHz T-Bird
Radeon 8500 (retail built by ATi)
Askey winmodem
Netgear FA311 10/100 nic.

Which sytem do you sugest? I hear Mandrake is pretty good.
Can I just partition my curent HDD and set it up to dual boot?
Will I be able to use my curent modem and NIC? or will I have to buy and install controller based ones?
My wifes PC is the internet gateway for all other PC's in the house. Can I still use it as a gateway with other systems running Windows?

TIA
Maurice

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2002, 11:50 PM

You'd probably be best just moving upto windows XP or 2K, both are which are far superior OS's when compared to 98. You can get linux to run such programs as AIM etc. but I hear its tricky.

But if you do decide to run Linux, it will run as a NAT proxy for the rest of the house compatible with any other OS...and with Mandrake it's espcially easy to do

Best of Luck
John
Inno3d Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (silenced)
40gb Seagate Barracuda IV
300W Aopen PSU (silenced)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2002, 12:14 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Kinda like the screenshot?

The way Linux installs and works, there's no harm in just putting it on a spare bit of space and trying it in parallel with your existing setup. The installer will help to resize your partitions for dual-boot setup quite happily. All you have to do is defrag your drive first . Even better, try one of the SuSE LiveEval setups - these run from CD, at no risk to your existing OS just to give you a flavour of what to expect. Since it's free, you've nothing to lose but time.

Mandrake9 (screenshot) is incredibly good, but you'll have 2 major problems using Linux. First up, your Askey winmodem is NOT supported, to the best of my knowledge. Try www.linmodems.org for supported winmodems, otherwise invest in a hardware modem. Second up - I've used Linux with an ATi-built Radeon8500 LE and found it renders a beautiful 2D desktop but will not handle 3D try as I might. This isn't a problem if you don't want to play games. Try them - they're available for download from
here
I'm not 100% sure about the sound... will check.

Personally, I've now removed Windows from my system completely. Using CrossOver I'm able to continue using some necessary apps and plugins.

As regards use as a gateway, Linux is more than up to the task. Whatever windows-like desktop manager you choose (KDE or GNOME for best results) you'll have graphical setup for routing, IP sharing, MAC spoofing, whatever you need.
Old 16th October, 2002, 12:15 AM

Whoops, forgot the screenshot (duh)
Attached Thumbnails
Which OS to choose.-screen3.jpg  
Old 16th October, 2002, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slack
You can get linux to run such programs as AIM etc. but I hear its tricky.
Not any more - both the official Linux Netscape-AIM client and Linux Yahoo! Messenger install without a glitch. AIM installs from source, but it's got idiot-proof instructions, and Yahoo! Messenger is packaged for easy installation. Why you'd bother with them is up to you - Mandrake 9 comes with GAim, which handles all IM clients (AIM, MSN, Y!, ICQ and IRC) perfectly. I'd use it now if I weren't showing off
Old 16th October, 2002, 12:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Thnx For the Info Kaitain.

I will get someone close by with a high speed internet access to download it for me. (don't feel like the 80+ hour download over 56k)

You think a 10 gig partition should be enuf?
Also what the heck is "KDE or GNOME"?
Treat me as a n00b on this (all my machinces are running 98se and I am stuborn to change. But wife is so impressed with non M$ and non AOL browser that she wants to try another OS, But I still have to be tech support)

I am going to go looking for drivers now.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 16th October, 2002, 12:57 AM

Quote:
You think a 10 gig partition should be enuf?
That should be plenty, unless you install everything

Quote:
Also what the heck is "KDE or GNOME"?
Some explanation here - Linux is based on UNIX, and UNIX is text-based. Therefore a system called XWindows (often just called X, or X11) was created. For PCs this is free software called XFree86. Don't ask me why the same thing has 4 names - I guess people get bored This is basically a set of libraries that define ideas like "mouse", "pointer" and "window". And you can do a lot with these ideas - so several desktop managers have been created. These basically give you a graphical user interface, windows, icons, mouse pointer, menus and all that. Now as I say, there are loads, but two desktop managers stand out as being the most feature-rich and familiar to a windows user. KDE and GNOME, as I mentioned. My desktop's KDE
Old 16th October, 2002, 01:10 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

KDE is better than Gnome, IMO.

Also, you need to install some themes and fonts, Kaitain. I actually very much like the default KDE 3.1 theme, Keramik. Is that KDE 3 or 2.2, BTW?

Here's a screenie (my apologies to the 56kers, but I didn't even put my whole desktop up, LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Which OS to choose.-screenshot.jpg  

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 16th October, 2002, 01:16 AM

3.0.3, and I haven't really bothered with themes. I'm still learning about the nuts and bolts of Linux, (and if you're using linuxfromscratch, then I'm well behind in that department) so I'll look at eye-candy sometime later Where'd you get the themes from, btw? That one looks vaguely like OSX
Old 16th October, 2002, 01:29 AM
Systems Administrator

You can get some awesome themes at www.kde-look.org

I could never get the transparency in the Keramik theme to work correctly with my LFS 3.0.3 system, so I compiled 3.0.8 (3.1.0 beta2) which has Keramik with transparent menus built-in. And yes, most of KDE's good themes look like OSX, LOL.

As for fonts, most X configurations set up /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ as a default directory in the XF86Config-4 file for fonts, you can then stick your TrueType fonts from Windows in that directory and follow the procedure here (easier than me trying to explain): http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/v.../truetype.html

Also, you'll probably get some errors but most fonts should be OK. Make sure you load the freetype module as instructed in the last step; I forgot that the first time I did it and wasted a hour, LOL

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 16th October, 2002, 01:35 AM

I'm pretty good with getting fonts working just lazy
Old 16th October, 2002, 02:37 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
I'm pretty good with getting fonts working just lazy
Oh my! LOL

Never mind then.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 16th October, 2002, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to xMerCLorDx Send a message via Yahoo to xMerCLorDx

how'd you get a linux version of trillian?

i couldn't find it on their site
Old 16th October, 2002, 03:25 PM

Er, it's the Windows version. I'm running it using CrossOver Plugin