AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th November, 2002, 05:37 AM

Help me choose a Linux Distro

Was thinking of getting into Linux. Want to make a dual boot system with Linux and Windows XP. Need help selecting Linux. Which one should I use(Mandrake, RedHat, etc...)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th November, 2002, 03:13 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Darn, Ronin - you chose just the question noone really has an answer to

The best answer I can realistically give is "try them all". The different distributors have each focused on certain aspects of Linux (ease of use, prettiness, speed, size, control) often to the exclusion of all others; which you choose depends on various things, such as how much Linux experience you have, what you want to do with the system, how much time you have to devote (or what your limit of patience is ) and whether you're a strictly "gui-only" person, or whether you're willing to get intimate with the console.

I will say that my personal favourites are Mandrake v9.0 followed by SuSE v8.1. I personally wouldn't touch RedHat, but others swear by it.

I'd also get you to consider Lycoris and Lindows if you're really nervous. I can't say I'd recommend them - they're anything but free and open software, but as a stepping stone to Linux they might just be useful.
Old 17th November, 2002, 06:49 PM

I have decided to go with Mandrake v9.0. Having a few problems with the installation. I have a RAID setup and I know Linux doesn't like the RAID controller I use so I installed a seperate 40GIG HDD for Linux. The drive show up in BIOS and in Windows Hardware Devices and in Partition Magic, but I can't seem to get Linux to install to it. I have formatted the dirve for Linux and created a seperate partition for the page file.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2002, 02:38 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Good choice, Ronin - MDK9 is exceptional - by far the best of the latest "big 3" revisions. RedHat IMO doesn't cut it - a crippled KDE, pricey support and stupid box price are more than I'm willing to put up with (might as well use Windaz for the price RH ask). SuSE have always been my favourite... up until S8.0 when they let me down bitterly. I haven't seen fit to update a distro again, so MDK9 will stay until I'm convinced SuSE really have improved upon their 8.0th attempt :/