AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th November, 2001, 10:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Making Linux 2.4 read NTFS . . .

Anyone know if there is a way to make Linux read NTFS? I like the data integrety and performance of NTFS, I need to be able to access my win32 system partition, and would hate to go the FAT32 route for Win2K . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2001, 12:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

hmm..I remeber reading something a while back, but I don't remember what it said. I'll see if I can find it again.
Old 15th November, 2001, 01:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

There are still problems writing to NTFS from Linux.

I don't have any experience with this having no need to use it with my current setup but here are some places to look. Best I could do

Linux NTFS project at Sourceforge - http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

And here is a Mandrake specific thread from their forums on it
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1198
Old 15th November, 2001, 10:38 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Making Linux 2.4 read NTFS . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Anyone know if there is a way to make Linux read NTFS? I like the data integrety and performance of NTFS, I need to be able to access my win32 system partition, and would hate to go the FAT32 route for Win2K . . . .

Last time I used Linux to read/write NTFS, it neither guaranteed data integrety, nor did it manage "performace". Actually, it worked, but it was dog slow compared to EXT2FS or FAT.

Perhaps getting Windows to read/write EXT2FS might be preferable? The EXT2FS is well described, and well understood. NTFS isn't so well documented nor so well understood. Add in the fact that Micro$oft have been known to make "tweeks" to their FS, it might well end up that a service pack alters NTFS enough for your Linux driver to screw your drive over.

BTW, for non-server applications, FAT32 tends to be faster and less processor intensive. When you get to server applications, then NTFS wins out because of it's design features.

AidanII
Old 15th November, 2001, 11:03 AM

Guess I'll leave Win2K on an NTFS. And make me a FAT32 partition for applications and files and the like.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2001, 08:41 AM

Hey . . . . I got it reading NTFS! I just tried mounting the partition manually, and it then worked! So I added a line to /etc/fstab to make it mount it automatically on startup and it's working fine.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th November, 2001, 01:16 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Hey . . . . I got it reading NTFS! I just tried mounting the partition manually, and it then worked! So I added a line to /etc/fstab to make it mount it automatically on startup and it's working fine.
Yeah, I just installed Debian and there's a kernel module to allow you read but not write on the NTFS. There is use to that I guess, but if you can't write on it you really can't do any productive work (aka making webpages ) without copying all the files onto the ext partition and then back.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 16th November, 2001, 03:45 PM

I just needed it to be readable to access my MP3 archive, and to use my favorites, stuff like that.

AOA Team fah