AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th January, 2003, 11:57 AM

how to get Linux to read and write on an NTFS drive.

not really a solution but a question.

i know that most of all linux distros don't support reading and writing on NTSF. i'd like to still be able to use this box as a file and print server. i have been able to load a driver to mount and read NTSF partition manually but i can't write on it. is there a work around so that i will be able to write to my NTSF drive?

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2003, 03:51 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
i'd like to still be able to use this box as a file and print server.
Er, not sure I understand 100%. Is "this box" a dual-boot NT/2k/XP and Linux box? Or an NT/2k/XP machine only, and you're trying to share drives with a separate Linux box?

Quote:
is there a work around so that i will be able to write to my NTSF drive?
If you're trying to write to an NTFS drive that is local in your machine (your primary master, eg) then no. NTFS is built a bit like a database, and writing files requires the OS to make changes to several places: get it wrong and the file system's toast. At the moment, the drivers are apt to get it wrong.

I have, however, been able to read and write to an NTFS drive for several months without a glitch - that drive resides in an XP box at the opposite end of the house to my Linux box, and has been accessed by Samba. Ethernet takes away any issues over filesystem - one OS says to the other "here's a file, deal with it" and that's about it.
Old 8th January, 2003, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
Er, not sure I understand 100%. Is "this box" a dual-boot NT/2k/XP and Linux box? Or an NT/2k/XP machine only, and you're trying to share drives with a separate Linux box?
sorry if i wasn't so clear. this box for now is dual boot winxp/linux. the files/drive i need to share are on this same box using NTSF. the drive i need to share is a primary partition wich contains documents and installers.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th January, 2003, 11:51 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Then you're probably best off either moving the files entirely to either a linux partition, or to a remote windows machine across the network.
Old 9th January, 2003, 06:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

yeah, ntfs support is still a bit shaky, and after you install linux you may have to recompile the kernel with ntfs support built in
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 9th January, 2003, 07:11 AM

i went and reinstalled RH and this time i made an VFAT partition. i'm really hesitant on moving all my important documentent and email to it though. wouldn't it be a security issue if you place files on a fat file system?

Old 15th January, 2003, 05:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

no, people have been doing it for years, Fat is less secure, but unless you have matters of national security on it (though a good firewall is always recommended) it shouldnt be an issue
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon