AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2003, 09:45 AM

PLS HELP with Mandrake 9.0

I'm a total NooB when it comes to Linux...
I tried to install Mandrake 9.0 on my comp, but I can't overcome 1 problem. I have 2 HDD's in RAID 0 on my EPoX 8K3A+, but the installer seems not to recognize that it's RAID. When it comes to detecting HDD's it always shows my drives as hda and hdb or something like that. Then it tells me, that my file allocation table is corrupt and asks me to wipe the disks. When i refuse to do so, it states that there is no disk which could be installed onto.
Are there any drivers or patches I should use? I really don't know what to do. I don't want to lose all my data... :nervous:
Any help or hints will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11th January, 2003, 08:15 PM

i'm not an expert at this but what motherboard do you have? the distro prolly doesn't support the board. i've tried SuSE 8, Mandrake 9, and RedHat 8. only RH8 sees the drives on the 4G4A+'s RAID controllers and is able to partion them.

you might wanna take a look at Mandrake 9.1 Beta. i find SuSe alot easier to use for a n00b like myself but i still don't have SuSe 8.2 which should be able to see the drives on my raid controllers.

good luck!

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2003, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
i'm not an expert at this but what motherboard do you have? the distro prolly doesn't support the board. i've tried SuSE 8, Mandrake 9, and RedHat 8. only RH8 sees the drives on the 4G4A+'s RAID controllers and is able to partion them.

you might wanna take a look at Mandrake 9.1 Beta. i find SuSe alot easier to use for a n00b like myself but i still don't have SuSe 8.2 which should be able to see the drives on my raid controllers.

good luck!
Thanx very much for your reply...
I have EPoX 8K3A+ with HPT372 controller. I chose Mandrake because it was recommended to me by some of my friends, they say it is the best thing for n00bies. I'll look more into that beta stuff, but I'm a bit worried by the word "beta". I just hope it doesn't mean more complications...
Old 12th January, 2003, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zilla
I'll look more into that beta stuff, but I'm a bit worried by the word "beta". I just hope it doesn't mean more complications...
i would be too. you can however place the drive used for linux on the IDE comtroller. other than that, i can't help help you. i remember deing able to install drake 9 on my old iwill kk-266-R board.

might read some posts over at www.linuxnewbie.org (thanks cloasters ) and http://www.linuxquestions.org/.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2003, 11:01 AM

How very kind of you, thank you. :beer:
I was actually able to find someone who is supposed to know how to fix this at one of the forums you mentioned -linuxquestions.org, now I'm waiting for his reply...
Maybe I WILL be able to start using the right OS after all...
Old 12th January, 2003, 11:43 AM

Quote:
How very kind of you, thank you. :beer:
I was actually able to find someone who is supposed to know how to fix this at one of the forums you mentioned -linuxquestions.org, now I'm waiting for his reply...
Maybe I WILL be able to start using the right OS after all...
please post back and let me know how it all went as i'm interested to also. i'm burned out of linux after 4 distos and about 2 weeks of reading . maybe i'll try again next week. i staill have to find a way to get back into X .

Old 13th January, 2003, 02:03 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Re: PLS HELP with Mandrake 9.0

Quote:
I'm a total NooB when it comes to Linux...
I tried to install Mandrake 9.0 on my comp, but I can't overcome 1 problem. I have 2 HDD's in RAID 0 on my EPoX 8K3A+, but the installer seems not to recognize that it's RAID. When it comes to detecting HDD's it always shows my drives as hda and hdb or something like that. Then it tells me, that my file allocation table is corrupt and asks me to wipe the disks. When i refuse to do so, it states that there is no disk which could be installed onto.
Are there any drivers or patches I should use? I really don't know what to do. I don't want to lose all my data... :nervous:
Any help or hints will be greatly appreciated.
Setting up Linux to recognise Windows RAID arrangements is quite tricky, since (as always) they don't always do things the same way. There is every chance that what you'll have to do to begin with is put Linux on a non-RAID drive and have it access the Windows RAID stuff later (once up to date modules etc are installed).

I strongly suggest you do a search for "RAID" in the Linux Documentation Project: http://www.tldp.org/ which has an up-to-date archive of linux faqs and howtos, and probably has already covered some of what you need to do.

WRT distribution, I found SuSE's above 7.3 to be unuseable and won't use them again. Most disappointing after the masterpiece that was SuSE 7.3. However, SuSE's installer does tend to be able to cope better with "unusual" hardware setups. If you're feeling brave, you might like to use SuSE's installer to get you a basic (console + X) level installation, then build your own window manager on top of that (thus escaping some of SuSE's horrific "extra functions")

Also consider giving RedHat a try...

Best of luck
Old 13th January, 2003, 05:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"...I found SuSE's above 7.3 to be unusable..." Kaitain posted. Yes, I'm tempted to go back to version 7.0. Mainly because I spent ~$100 to acquire SuSE 8.0 Pro and have SuSE 7.0 in a cupboard.

Maybe I should see if SuSE 7.2 or 7.3 is available anywhere. 8.0 is truly a masterpiece, it's a marvel. However, it overwhelms me. When I try to adjust anything, I spend an hour or three finding how to get there. Often, I can't get "there" again. After six weeks of this, I literally wound up sitting in front of my monitor, immobile and openmouthed.

I still don't have the cojones to try Slackware!
Old 13th January, 2003, 06:22 PM

You can have my SuSE 7.3 discs if you want - I don't see myself using them anytime soon
Old 13th January, 2003, 07:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
You can have my SuSE 7.3 discs if you want - I don't see myself using them anytime soon
Now THIS is a generous offer. Thank you, Kaitain!
I've been de-enthused about Linux, c/o SuSE 8.0.

Do I remember correctly? SuSE 7.2 is the one that needed a zillion patches? Some of them huge?

I'll send you a PM.
Old 13th January, 2003, 09:36 PM

Guys, I've got some encouraging news for you. With much help from peeps from linuxquestions.com I was able to install that Mandrake 9.0 on my RAID setup.

It took me like 3 days or so and this period of time could be divided into 2 parts:

1) an idiot (me) doesn't read the readme supplied with a special file he downloaded from a site where they have a complete description of how to do the install on HPT RAID. Therefore, he doesn't copy the necessary files onto 1 of the floppies correctly = 2 and 1/2 days

2)some lines from the instructions are not entirely correct, idiot gets help from the author of the article and some really wise guy = not more than 1/2 day

The instructions are here:
http://www.terra.es/personal2/capullator/#English

It's article 4B.
If anyone needs the corrected instructions, let me know and I'll try to help with what I have gotten. At least it worked for me...
Old 13th January, 2003, 09:48 PM

Great stuff! Well done, Zilla
Old 15th January, 2003, 10:22 AM

Mandrake 9.0 really rocks, I'm all excited about it but I also have some issues that need to be resolved.

The biggest one is with my mouse. I own a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer and during instalation I was able to make the system recognize and properly configure it (the default choice was a plain USB mouse). However, when I do anything that searches the comp for installed hardware, the cursor just freezes and I have to restart. I think it has something to do with my USB ports but I don't know how to fix this issue.
I was looking for a Linux driver on VIA site and there are some but the latest is for Mandrake 8.2 and I'm not sure wheter it is a good idea to try installing that one in my system.

Any hints or ideas?
My board is EPoX 8K3A+ with KT333.
Old 15th January, 2003, 01:14 PM

For Mandrake 9 you need to compile it from source. More on that in a mo'. FIRST you'll want to use "Mandrake Update" from within the Software section of Mandrake Control Center - harddrake, the component that tends to scan your system's hardware, has been frequently updated.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you might have an awkward system. I've not heard any reports in favour or against using Linux on an EPoX board, so you'll have to test it this way:

* First, try the (updated) harddrake (Mandrake Control Center -> Hardware -> Hardware List)
* If the cursor's stuck try the following:

1) Yank out the mouse and put it back in. If it comes back to life, then all that happened was that the USB driver got restarted and "forgot" there was a mouse there.

2) It may be that the USB driver didn't restart properly. Does your keyboard still work? If so, do this: use the left "windows" key (or penguin key if you've customised it ) and up should pop your menu. Scroll down (cursor keys) to Terminals, then right-cursor to bring up the sub menu, then select "konsole - super user mode". It'll ask for the root password, so give that and up should come the terminal. In that terminal:
# modprobe usb-uhci
This reloads the usb module. If you KNOW your USB ports are USB2.0, then also type:
# modprobe usb-ohci

Now try the mouse.

If the mouse still doesn't work, try 1) again now.

3) If the keyboard doesn't work, it might respond to some exit codes. Try these:

Alt+E
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
SysRq+H

If none of those do anything, it's very likely that probing your hardware causes lockups due to a hardware incompatibility.

On some motherboards now, there's an option somewhere in there for USB mice and keyboards to be interpreted as "legacy" or ps/2 hardware. If that option's selected, try unselecting it. If it's unselected, try selecting it.