AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2003, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Con

INSANE: Excel Currency Formatter Issue! (Im Stumped)

Hey guys, Ive got a very interesting/confusing issue in microsoft excel 2000.

In my Windows XP Regional Settings, I have set Currenct to show as £'s. Now, when i go into MS Excel, and select a cell with numeric data in it, and then click the currency button, it formats with dollars as shown in this screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
INSANE: Excel Currency Formatter Issue! (Im Stumped)-currencyss.gif  
Old 5th February, 2003, 10:53 AM

Now, to complicate things even further for you! I did some research and have come to the conclusion that the currency formatter button definitely gets its settings from the regional settings, so why is it seeing it as dollars?

I can come to this conclusion, because when I right click cells with numeric data in them, and select format cells, then select currency as shown in the screenshot below, i get it all in pounds! So where is the difference coming from? is there some unknown registry entry that im missing here? I would love an answer to this because i have this issue on 200 machines @!!

Conrad
Attached Thumbnails
INSANE: Excel Currency Formatter Issue! (Im Stumped)-formatss.gif  
Old 5th February, 2003, 11:46 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Currency Style doesn't necessarily take it's settings from XP's regional settings. It can be overridden by the settings in the default templates for workbooks or worksheets. These are book.xlt or sheet.xlt respectively.

Typically these are stored under the profiles directory. (Example c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates)

Áedán
Old 5th February, 2003, 01:59 PM

I am indeed using an excel template thats downloaded from the server on login... its book.xlt in c:\program files\microsoft office\office\xlstart

Now, any ideas as to WHERE in the template it is specified?

Con
Old 5th February, 2003, 02:06 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Open the template, then try: Format -> Style. Select the Currency Style (I have two?), then hit Modify. See how that's set up.

Other than that, I'm not really sure. I'm pretty sure that Excel picks up some of it's settings from the templates.

Áedán
Old 5th February, 2003, 02:26 PM

pld you

I was tinkering about and deleted the template from xlstart and it was giving me pounds as i wanted it to =) i then modified book.xlt as you suggested i do, and popped it back in xlstart.

Im very happy now =) this has taken ages to resolve! One more question on where XP picks the .pol files up from the server still unanswered and im gettin it in the neck, think ill give that post a bump whilst ur online

Cheers Áedán

Con.