AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th February, 2003, 08:26 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

why??

Why would my computer have 3 separate instances of svchost.exe running?
And is it safe to turn 2 of them off??
grrr
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2003, 02:18 PM

I dug this up

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Svchost
Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group and is displayed as a separate instance when you are viewing active processes. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can contain one or more service names that are extracted from the following registry key, whose Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value

I dont know if it matters if you have several running, probably not.

try disabling them and see if your conputer goes wrong.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2003, 02:21 PM

It might be a virus...

holst shouts

**AIDAN**

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th February, 2003, 02:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

/me thought you could use "/me" here
Old 27th February, 2003, 04:52 PM

Multiple occurrences of "svchost.exe" running in Windows 2000 or Windows XP can be normal depending of what services you have running.

Last edited by Groltz; 27th February, 2003 at 11:43 PM.
Old 27th February, 2003, 05:45 PM

Think Holst has a point there, a search on symantec.com brought up several virus' that infect that file, it would be wise to do a scan.
Old 27th February, 2003, 06:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

I've scanned for viruses (I scan everyday)...nada...BUT, my computer has been acting funny lately, IE randomly closes itself, sygate wouldn't work all of a sudden....I've scanned with 2 different AV programs and they both turned up nothing.

While I was away last week, my kids were using my computer...they're pretty savvy when it comes to proper use of a computer....their friends however, are not....I suspect something they did is causing my problems.....(one of them has been known to just delete files/folders he thinks shouldn't be there, like ya know .dll files and .ini files or apparently empty folders) =|
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 27th February, 2003, 07:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I have four svchost's running. They seem to be legit.

Heard the latest gossip about the snoopiness of Big Brother MS? As we know, "no information about your PC is sent to MS" during OS updates. Which obviously has to be untrue. Seems that updating WinXP lets my good friend The Bill catalog every piece of third party software you have on yer box. Yay! Go BBBBB!