AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th November, 2001, 03:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

Angry im in hell! cant install xp, installed linux and now i cant get vmware to work!

my setup:
xp 1500+
epox 8kha+
sb audigy mp3+
(lota +'s eh?)
13.6gb quantom fireball plus kx 7200 rpm
12x dvd
4x cd burner
linksys nic

ok, im not happy. no matter whitch way i install xp pro(bleve me ive tried them all! upgrade, fresh, fat 32, ntfs, quick partition, regular partition, 2 dif cdroms, 2 dif cd's, installed on another comp and moved to this one..... ) no matter what i do it gives me a bsod and kills itself. during the install the bsod is always at the same place, twords the en of "installing componots".

thats just part 1

part 2:
ok, im typing this in linux. i eventualy gave up and dicided to run linux and xp in vmware. i finaly installed vmware, and when i tried to run vm ware in the console, it says something about configuring vmware-config.pl. well, thats esier said than done. its about 40 pages long and i dont understand a line of it.

anyone think thay can figure out eather of theies?
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2001, 05:09 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Are you overclocking at all when you install?

Just to be safe, unclock it, use conservative memory timings, and give everything just a little extra voltage. Start from scratch with a reformat, if it still does not work, you've got at least one bad component. Also, install with the minimum. if possible, disable sound, the nic, and any other add on cards. It will add a few more steps, but will help troubleshoot the bad part causing BSODs. Also, if you are using a "backup" copy of XP, you might have a bad file on the cd. All it takes is one bad file at the wrong location.

I did a clean install of XP pro last week and it went without a hitch, but I have a completely different rig than you. (I didn't start oc'ing until after I ran some tests using conservative settings.)

Good Luck.
SteveI.
Old 27th November, 2001, 05:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Sounds like it could maybe be an irq problem. Yeah, it could also be a bad cd.
Old 27th November, 2001, 10:56 PM

im pretty mutch down to nothing left to disable. mem is underclocked, nic, videocard and sound have all ben used in xp before. ill try taking everything out but the bare min and give it another shot.

ps: ive tried 2 copyes of the cd(long story), i didnt use the same copy as last time i installed, but its worked before.
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2001, 12:23 AM
Banned

Seriously, try only booting/installing with no PCI cards. You can always add these very easily one-by-one later on...

I'm in agreement, it sounds hardware related in some way. If the CPU is overclocked, I'd check that, otherwise there's no other explanation!..
Old 29th November, 2001, 03:56 AM

kkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiccccckkkkkkkkkaaaaaasssssssssss!! !!! it works! iot just randomly dicided to install! (i took out my cards, but it had go0ten past the "crash" point when it froze again(during finalasation))

ps: i think figured out my prob, my psu is WAY over spec. 5.3 on the 5v line lol
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu