AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th March, 2003, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Con

Red Hat problems

Hey.

Installed RH8 on my other pc last night.... And a few weird things were going on, during the GUI install... the next and previous buttons were just buttons iwth no text until i hovered over them with the mouse, and all the options etc weren't showing until i hovered over them. Also the mouse curser was just a 2cm*2cm white square Something is up with that!.

Anyhow i managed to blag my way thru the install, and then when i rebooted it didn't load any GUI, just a CLI, so i typed startkde and got all these errors:

Code:
[root@localhost root]# startkde
xsetroot: unable to open display ' '
xrdb: Can't open display ' '
xset: unable to open display ""
ksplash: cannot connect to X server
kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
Warning: connect() failed: No such file or directory
ksmserver:cannot connect to X server
Error: Can't open display:
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
[root@localhost root]#
Old 14th March, 2003, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Con

Having done a little research it seems i should be typing startx before startkde

Im at work at the mo so i guess i'll try that when i get in

Con
Old 14th March, 2003, 10:45 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Try putting "startkde" in your ~/.xinitrc. Then you just run startx and it'll start kde

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th March, 2003, 04:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"startkde" has never worked(when kde is my GUI) for me. "startx" works 98% of the time.
Old 16th March, 2003, 10:50 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
&quot;startkde&quot; has never worked(when kde is my GUI) for me. &quot;startx&quot; works 98% of the time.
That's because X must be running for "startkde" to work

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!