AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2003, 09:13 PM

Home Network?

I'm trying to make a home network for me and my wife. My PC will be the main pc, printer internet connection etc etc but I just cannot get them to network. One is based on 8rga and the other is 8rda any ideas where to start, ive tried the XP wizard does the pricture below mean I have actually connected? I guess the fac that i am trying to use the same version of windows doesnt help, but can I have one on xp and one on me? I have licenced copies of both
Attached Thumbnails
Home Network?-newtwork.jpg  
Old 1st April, 2003, 09:16 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Having both machines on xp should help simplify tremendously..
How is everything connected?
Sounds like you are using 2 nics on your box, 1 connected to broadband (?), and the other to your wife's box.... please correct me.

Are you using a crossover cable? ... do you have a router?

Sorry, I can't tell anything by that pic.
Old 1st April, 2003, 09:26 PM

Sorry this is the first ever attempt, but I am using the ethernet sockets on each mobo with a crossover cable. Mine is connected to my adsl modem via USB no router, maybe a router would be easier it is really only to share the internet connection more than anythign but then I would like to use it when my mates come arounf for a lan party!
Old 1st April, 2003, 09:29 PM

I guess they should be showing different IP address but they should have the same subnet Mask right? Do I have to map drives?
Old 1st April, 2003, 09:56 PM

Im told I getting an error everythime I try and use the damn wizzard but it dont seem to help?
Attached Thumbnails
Home Network?-error.jpg  
Old 1st April, 2003, 10:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bradmax57
maybe a router would be easier it is really only to share the internet connection more than anythign but then I would like to use it when my mates come arounf for a lan party!
That's what I did (in a roundabout fashion - my networks a bit more complex!) It makes things much easier. Just plug your PC/machine in and you can be up and running as easy as that!

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 11:31 PM

My home network currently has 5 PCs on it (what happened??? sheesh!) I have a Cable modem feeding a 4 port Router. It feeds 3 PCs and the one cross over cable uses the 4th port to feed a switch with 5 ports. One is used by the cross over cable so I can now feed 4 more PCs. At least that's what I got now....no tellin what I come up with later.
The advantages to a router are several: the outside cannot (alright Áedán can probably get in, but he is admittedly a minority!) see past your Router, so you really don't need a firewall. The other one is you won't be sharing an internet connection with a Router. They all get their own access. If you do it like you are suggesting, although it's less expensive, if the "mother PC" is off, the others downline are also off. The mother PC also looses some by feeding the other.
I'm no expert by any means, a newbie by any standards. Just my experience.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2003, 01:26 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

My setup is similar to UB's... I have a wireless router switch... The cablemodem connects to the router... with 3 machines on the switch... the 4th port connected to an 8 port switch connecting the rest of my machines.

Using your main rig to share the internet connection may slow down your connection significantly... At least it did for me when my first router died...

Anyway... first make sure your machine has ICS enabled (internet connection sharing).

Next, where did you get the crossover? was it home made or bought. From each nic, are you getting a blinking light?
Old 2nd April, 2003, 01:33 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

You don't have to try mapping drives yet...
Click on my network places.. what do you see? You should at least see your own PC...

From there click on network connections... what do you see?
Old 2nd April, 2003, 03:05 AM

i also have a remarkably similar set up to UB as well except less pc's (two) and far less pc knowledge!

There is good advice all over the internet on different forums best is probably to get a router!

it is likely that your modem/isp won't support sharing through single usb ( mine would'nt on cable) but i also had a pci conflict at the time and pc's wouldn't talk either ( one xp pro other 98) now they work fine with all sharing and simultaneous internet connection. i even discovered what 'map network drive' actually does
you may also find some good info here:bygames forums

regards

philip

Last edited by fzr phil; 2nd April, 2003 at 03:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2003, 10:04 AM

Ok after reformatting both machines Ive managed to get them networked, sharing printer and internet connections, slower i agree but since she'll hardly be on it Im not that bothered, only thing I cant get to work is her pop3 email this could be possible due to my ISP not allowing sharing? I have set her connection to local connection but didnt seem to make any difference
Old 2nd April, 2003, 11:52 AM

Well finally got it sorted everything works I guess I just wanted it all to be as easy at the network wizzard made it out to be, thxs for all your help!
Old 2nd April, 2003, 01:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Great to hear it.
Oddly for me, even when no one else was on line, my pc lagged on line when it was managing the sharing... pretty dramatically in fact. If you change your mind, you can always pic up a cheap router/switch for under $50 on sale somewhere. Just something to think about.
Old 2nd April, 2003, 02:28 PM

SOmething lke this? does it mean i wouldnt be able to use my usb modem?
Attached Thumbnails
Home Network?-router.jpg  
Old 2nd April, 2003, 04:01 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by bradmax57
SOmething lke this? does it mean i wouldnt be able to use my usb modem?
Exactly.. Whether or not you could still use your modem depends on IT.. Some come with cabling to convert one to the other. Others can only work one way. The best thing to do is look up your exact model, and see what it is cabable of. From what I've heard, USB is not a good interface for broad band modems. Although it claims a bandwidth of 11mps, real life performance is degraded significantly due to weak data management and device management by USB. It is possible switching to an ethernet connection will improve peformance for you, especially given ICS.
Old 2nd April, 2003, 04:22 PM

thanks I look into the costs of an ethernet modem and router in UK !

:beer: