AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th April, 2003, 05:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

WinXP EFP File Restore..

Okay, so last night, after burning my Dual mobo (Don't ask.. I don't know how I did it!! I was even grounded..), I moved my harddrives into my Server. I proceded to install another copy of WinXP onto another partition on my main 60GB drive. Everyting worked. The problem is that all of my My Document files are protected, which means I can't get to them.. I have only two things I REALLY need, but they are VERY important.. (250pt paper due on Tuesday, review for PCX)..

If anyone can help, please help fast!

If you can, please email me a response to my cell phone.. 5034753466@mobile.att.net should do it.. 130char limit per msg I think, so forgo the subject. Send multi messages if needed.

Thanks! Hurry!!!
Old 7th April, 2003, 09:57 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Presume you mean EFS(Encrypted File System)? If so, did you store the recovery keys on seperate media? If not, you'll have to salvage those from the original XP install.

More details are on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/5min-401.asp

If you have lost the keys for EFS, then you're out of luck. Technically, it's possible to break the encryption, but it will take a typical computer hundreds of years to do so.

Áedán
Old 7th April, 2003, 06:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

but not an Overclocked AOA rig?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2003, 06:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by piccoLEW
but not an Overclocked AOA rig?
As opposed to the machines that no such agency (NSA) use...

Áedán
Old 7th April, 2003, 07:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Áedán - Isn't there a bypass around this, so that I can re-take ownership? Or, could I use the old install (Lets call it XP-1) to boot off of, even tho I changed a lot of hardware? Is there a way to do it? Where would the keys be stored? I haven't changed the partition since using it..

Also, the NSA is a declared agency

Last edited by SiGmA_X; 7th April, 2003 at 07:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!