AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th August, 2003, 06:46 PM

Reinstall OS

I need more space on my boot drive that runs W2KP.
But when I put the disk in I get an error message that says FTDisk.sys is corrupted. I can't get past this message.

How can I reformat both partitions, increase the size of the boot partition, and reinstall the OS.

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 25th August, 2003, 08:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you don't have Partition Magic(it's a great prog--but it isn't cheap)or a similar program, you can't change the size of a pre-existing partition "on the fly" to the best of my knowledge.

As you posted that formatting both of the partitions(if there are only two partitions, of course) isn't a biggie, you'll have to use Windows's fdisk feature to wipe all of the partitions off of the HDD and create new partitions that are sized to your liking.

Before launching into creating new partitions, the "fdisk /mbr" command should be used to wipe the old data from the Master Boot Record.
These new partitions must be formatted after they are created by fdisk. You have to wait until after all the new partitions are created by fdisk before formatting any of them.

Booting from Win2K's CD-ROM makes it pretty easy to use fdisk, btw.
Old 26th August, 2003, 01:48 AM

[I know how to Fdisk and partition the drive. My concern involves the error message," FTDisk.sys is corrupted". If I redo the partitions, will the W2KP disc allow me to reinstall. Or does the error message mean the disk is damaged and won't work.

I don't want to delete and not be able to install. When I try to boot from the cd, it gives the error message and quits.

Sherm