AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2003, 12:48 PM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

Archival OS's

A friend was giving away some old software and I asked for these-

SuSE Linux 6.2 Retail Box (with StarOffice 5.1 Personal Edition)

SunSoft SolarNet PC-NFS Pro with license.

Microsoft Windows for Workgroups & MS-DOS (with User's Guide)- Still shrinkwrapped with license.

I'm somewhat of an OS collector and like to try different things.
I started out on Win98 se, and went to WinME very briefly (I hated it), then to XP the day it hit the shelves. Then I got brave and tried Mandrake 8.1, Mandrake 8.2, Red Hat 8, and Lindows.
I even gave BeOs a try but it wouldn't work with my WinModem so I couldn't get online with it.

So I've run a small gammet of recent OS's, but was intriged by earlier ones. I intend to give these a go round, on a spare hard drive, when they arrive, and will report on how it goes.
Registered Linux User #401179
Desktop- Mint 10 Julia, Mint 9 Isadora, PCLOS LXDE 2010.10, Flavor of the Day

Laptop- Windows 7 Premium, AMD Athlon II X2 P340, 250g Seagate HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 4G DDR3 Ram, 15.6" HD LED LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2003, 04:41 PM
AOA Staff

Did you like Mandrake? I am planning on installing it on a second PC.
Old 31st August, 2003, 05:37 PM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Did you like Mandrake? I am planning on installing it on a second PC.
Mandrake was my first attempt at Linux and I was quite happy with how easy it installed and set up.

I do think that Red Hat ran better on that particular pc, though.
Registered Linux User #401179
Desktop- Mint 10 Julia, Mint 9 Isadora, PCLOS LXDE 2010.10, Flavor of the Day

Laptop- Windows 7 Premium, AMD Athlon II X2 P340, 250g Seagate HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 4G DDR3 Ram, 15.6" HD LED LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2003, 10:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP
A friend was giving away some old software and I asked for these-

SuSE Linux 6.2 Retail Box (with StarOffice 5.1 Personal Edition)

SunSoft SolarNet PC-NFS Pro with license.

Microsoft Windows for Workgroups & MS-DOS (with User's Guide)- Still shrinkwrapped with license.

I'm somewhat of an OS collector and like to try different things.
I started out on Win98 se, and went to WinME very briefly (I hated it), then to XP the day it hit the shelves. Then I got brave and tried Mandrake 8.1, Mandrake 8.2, Red Hat 8, and Lindows.
I even gave BeOs a try but it wouldn't work with my WinModem so I couldn't get online with it.

So I've run a small gammet of recent OS's, but was intriged by earlier ones. I intend to give these a go round, on a spare hard drive, when they arrive, and will report on how it goes.
Excellent! Once in a while, the pioneering spirit works "backwards." I liked SuSE 6.2 a LOT. I'm told that WFWG 3.11 isn't a lot of fun. I have it stashed, but I haven't bothered with it. The one from Sun is new to me. Please keep us au courant of your adventures!