AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2003, 09:24 PM

help, problems with ageing windows

As windows is run and has been installed ofr a while, it tends to get bloated and slower, which is inevitable. Normally I'd do a complete reinstall but I don't have time and the main problems I've got are really stupid but I cna't seem to fix them:

edit: ok first problem was not aproblem it was me being stupid and i'm getting rid of thisbefore anyone sees how stupid it was. the second problem still stands:

2) Long startup for "My Computer". This seemed to start when I installed AVG antivirus but didn't stop when i disabled all the antivirus software thorugh msconfig and startup etc: every time windows starts up it takes afull minute after getting into the desktop to be able to load up my computer. It's like its searching for something and the floppy makes noise and the system slows down.

I'm prety sure I have no viruses (according to AVG), most of the services and starup programs are disabled and there are no strange processes running in the taskmanager (this is where I've seen viruses before).

Can anyone help?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2003, 10:01 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Have you tried bootvis from microsoft?!?! Also run ad ware or spy bot to get rid of any spyware that AVG has installed. (I'm sure it's installed something because the software is free of charge.)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2003, 10:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry I can't help you.

However if anyone would like to see how stupid Stigweed 1st issue was just e-mail me as I've kept a copy! ":O}

(HEY! I was just trying to be helpful!)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd November, 2003, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Sorry I can't help you.

However if anyone would like to see how stupid Stigweed 1st issue was just e-mail me as I've kept a copy! ":O}

(HEY! I was just trying to be helpful!)
What I wrote doesn't give away quite how stupid I was being.

Anyway I looked through the AOA FAQ and decided to start switching services off according to what it said. I turned quite a lot off to try to solve the problem. Now windows boots but the network is screwed: IE and OE can access the internet but nothing else can, the network connections properties are blank (not just wrong but blank) and trying ctrl+alt+del gives an error message saying that taskmgr.exe could not be started. Mozilla won't start and trilian won't connect.

I'm now getting random shutdowns in windows as well. No programs will really run properly. This is still going on now I've re-enabled all the services.

I'm typing this in mandrake now cos its the only thing working (so I don't think I've got a hardware problem). Going to try undoing the registry changes I made (not putting windows progs into the pagefile and something else).

If that doesn't work then... well I've been putting that reinstall off for a while now....

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2003, 12:09 AM

It was the largesystemcache registry entry that screwed things over so its pretty muuch back to normal now.

Ran ad aware and it found a few things and removed them but that didn't fix it.

Tried running bootvis but it gives an error:
"The procedure entry point WmiOpenTraceWithCursor could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll".

Thought that might have something to do with disabling the WMI services but they're still running now. the plot thickens.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2003, 12:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I can't count how many times I've dumped the needful while trying to stream line!

Worse gets badder we can always ask Aidan, he knows everything! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd November, 2003, 10:23 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigweed
Tried running bootvis but it gives an error:
"The procedure entry point WmiOpenTraceWithCursor could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll".
I presume the machine is all up to date in terms of service packs etc? The error you've given is one that you'd see if you used the newer version of BootVis with a system with no service packs on.

Now, if you have installed at least service pack 1, then it's a different issue! It would then indicate that somehow your DLL files have got out of step. Basically, DLL files contain a list of subroutines (shared code effectively), such as WmiOpenTraceWithCursor. This code sharing means that programs can have common functions (like creating a window) stored in one place, rather than hundreds of places.

It's a good idea, but falls down when there's different versions of DLLs around, leading to "DLL Hell". This is where one program won't run unless a DLL is a certain version, and another program won't run unless the DLL is a different version... Troubleshooting that is a real nightmare.
Old 23rd November, 2003, 11:48 AM

I haven't yet installed the service pack because of all hte bad press it got for screwing things up. I've been installing all the other updates. Should I go ahead and install SP1?

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2003, 01:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

SP1 is actually SP1a now - I can't promise it won't break anything.There are some updates in SP1 that aren't in the other updates.

You should be able to roll back, but if you've got something you can image with, it'll be additional peice of mind.