AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd December, 2003, 02:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

hubs causing problems

OK, the computer of concern is an nforce2, MSI, with onboard lan and windows2000 pro. I have a DSL modem feeding a hub with 4 computers conected. Everything works fine at this point.

Have another computer to connect so took 1 of the lines (that was feeding a puter) and sent it to another hub (to the uplink port). When I connect 1 of the original 4 computers to this new hub I can't establish a connection. I know the new hub works cause I connected my new Linux computer to it.

My guess (limited knowledge) is that the nforce driver configured the motherboards onboard LAN to the original hub but not compatable with the 2nd hub due to different IP or something.

My next step would be to uninstall the ethernet driver, connect to the 2nd hub, and reinstall driver. Make any sense at all? Any ideas?

uninstalled the ethernet driver + reinstalled = no change. Might have to manually install the IP/submask and DNS numbers?

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd December, 2003, 04:23 PM
AOA Staff

Possibly, you need to be using a patch cable between the two hubs.

Which hubs/routers do you have?
Old 22nd December, 2003, 05:39 PM

They're both linksys (i'm at work so model #'s not available. Your the 2nd person that has mentioned that to me (patch or crossover cable). The (very small) book that came with the second hub just says to take an operable line from the first hub and run to the uplink port on the second (plus dont use port next to uplink port). I've done all that.

I know the hub works cause the linux box works. I think I just need to properly configure the windows2000 connection, I currently have it auto detect IP/gateway/submask and DNS info. If I can figure out the right settings from my operable computer (ipconfig \all ????) I'll try that.

Thanks for the help so far!

Oh, in case this helps anyone; when I plug the cable into my ethernet connection only one of the 2 lights on the card light up, a normal connection gives me both lights. Also, when double clicking the connection I see bits sent but none received. Hope this helps somebody.

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd December, 2003, 06:19 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Try unplugging from the uplink port and just use the first port.
Old 22nd December, 2003, 06:29 PM
AOA Staff

There's lots of support at www.linksys.com
Old 22nd December, 2003, 06:46 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Basically, there's two ways of wiring ethernet connectors. Inside the ethernet cable, two wires are used for transmit, two for receive.

A hub normally connects it's receive lines to the computer's transmit lines, and it's transmit lines to the computer's receive lines. That makes good sense!

However, when you connect two hubs together, that won't work, as they'll both try to swap the transmit and receive pair.

Normally, you just need to connect one end of the cable to an uplink port, and the other end of the cable to a standard (IE not uplink) port.

Hubs and switches don't care about IP addresses - they switch packets! (In the same way a telephone system doesn't care if it's a voice, modem, or fax at the end.) If your IP addresses worked on a single hub, then they should work with two hubs, unless there's a wiring problem between them.
Old 22nd December, 2003, 10:22 PM

All right, I'll try it again tonight. Thanks for the help and extra info.

AOA Team fah