AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th February, 2004, 03:38 PM

fedora linux and samba file sharing

I've bene trying ot get file sharing to work, but the option "only allow certain users to access this share" only has a tick box for my user. If I add other users to the system, they don't appear here and I can't share with them.

Does anyone know if this is a fedora problem or just me? My fedora is not up to date because up2date and yum are broken for me at the moment. I'm waiting for them to produce new ISO images but that could be months.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2004, 03:56 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigweed
I've bene trying ot get file sharing to work, but the option "only allow certain users to access this share" only has a tick box for my user. If I add other users to the system, they don't appear here and I can't share with them.

Does anyone know if this is a fedora problem or just me? My fedora is not up to date because up2date and yum are broken for me at the moment. I'm waiting for them to produce new ISO images but that could be months.
What are you using to configure the system? Webmin? If so, have you clicked the "Add unix users to Samba" button on the first level menu?
Old 9th February, 2004, 05:02 PM

no i'm just using redhat-samba-config. and thanks toy uor post, i've just found the add user to samba option. thankyou.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2004, 07:14 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Typically users have to be added to the "samba" group before they're able to use windows file sharing - this is a bit of a security thing; you'll notice on browsing around another option to "deny privileged users access to samba". If this is set, users that are able to use the command "su" (most of them in MDK, RH, the "wheel group in Gentoo) are not allowed to use Samba even if you add them to the Samba group. Basically, Windows file sharing creates a security hole or two...

Anyway, the point of all that, is that the "add user to Samba" merely automates this process for you.