AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th April, 2004, 03:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to *nix_Man Send a message via AIM to *nix_Man Send a message via Yahoo to *nix_Man

BSD users, anyone?

Hello all. As a dedicated *BSD user, along with various Linux distros, I wanted to see what the pervading opinion was out there about BSD vs Linux. Personally, I love the stability and simplicity of BSD over Linux, but not the lack of framebuffer support (has this been added in and im missing it?) and less flexible kernel modification process.

And, for those of you who dont believe that *BSD is not a workstation OS, I am running FreeBSD on my Dell Laptop with KDE 3.2 and excellent support for my Radeon 9000 card.

I would just like to hear some people's experiences with BSD, and the pros and cons vs Linux.
Old 7th April, 2004, 10:23 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Honestly haven't tried. It's something I've been curious about, but have been woefully short of time...
Old 8th April, 2004, 09:54 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I occasionally bash my head against an OpenBSD box, but it's fairly old and has some custom hacks against the kernel that make it 'interesting'. I'm not about to use that experience to tar *BSD.
Old 8th April, 2004, 02:59 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

You may wanna PM PostalDave, he's used it and loved it. Maybe one of these days I'll play with BSD, but as for right now I'm still trying to learn Knoppix.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th June, 2004, 12:16 AM

I use OpenBSD for servers and firewalls and FreeBSD for desktops..... I like BSD way more than any linux.... OpenBSD reminds me of slackware... lol