AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2004, 07:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Works. Many versions. Confusing.

Microsoft Works comes in a few flavors, some retailers demand that hardware be purchased along with Works. It's also listed as Retail or OEM. Which version doesn't need an older version of the program on the HDD to install?

I only want Word, tbh. Can I buy that anywhere?
Old 11th May, 2004, 08:18 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

If you're not likely to be doing much with complex diagrams and graphics, or equation editor/mathtype objects, then why not grab OpenOffice.org?

Microsoft's policy atm is:
Retail: Comes in a box with a label, and can be bought after market.
OEM: Just the disc and the Certificate of Authenticity. It's intended only to be sold with new computers, however the interpretation is sufficiently liberal that you can get it with just a new HD or CPU
Upgrade: This is the one that upgrades older versions. AFAIK MS aren't selling them separately anymore...
Old 11th May, 2004, 08:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can also buy the 'Student' versions at reputable retailers like Wal-Mart, who don't ask you whether you are really a student or not.....

I agree with Kaitain though. If you're not doing anything particularly sophisticated, Open Office will probably fit the bill. If your needs require something moderately better, maybe Star Office would be better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2004, 09:01 PM

AFAIK the only differences between Star Office and Open Office are the splash screen and the spell checker. Star uses a commercial one, whereas Open Office uses myspell
Old 11th May, 2004, 09:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
AFAIK the only differences between Star Office and Open Office are the splash screen and the spell checker. Star uses a commercial one, whereas Open Office uses myspell
Ah. I was under the impression that Star Office was supposed to be more feature complete. However OO does everything I need pretty well at home, so I haven't investigated further.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2004, 10:19 PM

Well there are some more, but the spellchecker's the main one. From the FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Microsystems

Q. What are the differences between StarOffice 7 and the OpenOffice.org 1.1 ?

A. StarOffice 7 Office Suite is a commercial product built on OpenOffice.org's open source code to provide the best value, multi-platform Microsoft compatible office suite aimed at organizations and consumers. OpenOffice.org 1.1 is the leading open-source project aimed at users of free software, independent developers and the open source community.

StarOffice includes licensed, third-party technology such as:

* Spellchecker and thesaurus
* Database component (Software AG Adabas D).
* Select fonts including Windows metrically equivalent fonts and Asian language fonts
* Select filters, including WordPerfect filters and Asian word processor filters
* Integration of additional templates and extensive clipart gallery

In addition to product differences, StarOffice offers:

* Updates/upgrades on CD
* Sun installation and user documentation
* 24x7 Web based support for enterprises and consumers
* Help desk support
* Warranties and indemnification guarantee Training
* Professional services for migration and deployment

For a detailed comparison, please see TBD. For more information on components and services available for the OpenOffice.org product, visit the Op
enOffice.org Web site.
Old 14th May, 2004, 06:23 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for the clarification, everyone. Call me spoiled, go ahead. The word processors in both Star Office and Open Office look like... crud. Combine this with an LCD monitor and you're looking at ugly, and I mean ugly text.

I'm using Word 6C that's in Office Pro 4.3 from ~1995. Works great with XP, it's a miracle. One of these days a floppy will go bad, I'm thinking ahead.
Old 14th May, 2004, 12:53 PM

Interestingly it looks fine on my laptop screen. The Bold, Italic and Underline buttons are a bit nasty, I agree, but apart from that it seems to use standard Windows fonts, and render them no differently in the document than Word. Perhaps I've just grown used to it over the last few years of dual-booting (and making the machines look largely identical irrespective of OS)
Old 15th May, 2004, 02:13 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Unless you think you are on very solid ground like the Laurentian Shield in Canada, don't waste your breath arguing a technical matter with Kaitain.

Perhaps text always looks bad on LCD monitors? Expensive does not always mean better! If you can manhandle a ~75 pound 21" CRT monitor, I suggest buying one instead of a big LCD.

Thank you for the info, Kaitain. I Newegged a Retail copy of Works this AM.
Old 15th May, 2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Perhaps text always looks bad on LCD monitors? Expensive does not always mean better! If you can manhandle a ~75 pound 21" CRT monitor, I suggest buying one instead of a big LCD.
Ah, yes I rather think that's the case. The trick I've found with LCD monitors is to turn off all attempts at making text look nicer - LCDs don't seem to handle font antialiasing and mouse smoothing very well. As for transparency

I'm sure it's better when truly digital LCDs are used, but afaik even in laptops the hardware converts it to an analogue signal briefly (in the interests of cost, of course)

Anyway, glad to be of help, cloasters