AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2004, 06:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

windows media player 9

okay i decided to try media player series 9..

i didnt like it!

so i uninstall it by going through control panel > add remove programs..

it got rid of it and said it needed a restart..

only after the restart it disabled the orignal media player i was using:

mplayer2.exe (windows media player 6) whenever i try to load it nothing happens, all the icons have changed to unkowns, and i cannot get the dam thing to load,

anyone know how to fix this?

im running win2k. gonna have to go back to the crappy media 9..

for those who would ask whay not just use 9..

the answer is loading times!

ever since i tried 7 it tok ages to load! unacceptable! wmp6 just loads up straight away, no fuss, no "loading please wait" except for certain types of file..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2004, 06:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling mplayer?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2004, 12:20 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

You'll probably need to reinstall it from the "Add/Remove Windows Components" tool. If that doesn't work, MS allow you to download the full WMP6 installer from their site - this is how Crossover Plugin gets it.
Old 17th May, 2004, 05:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

nope,
no luck there
the install program i downloaded from the ms website even tho it was for 95/nt 4.. it should still work. It just complains that it is not supported on this verion of windows, which is funny cos win2k comes bundled with mp6.

I'm suspicious ¬_¬ i reckons its done on purpose, u install wmp9 so they can slap the "digital rights" and if you dont like it tough! you cant go back to what you had before
I hate microsoft as much as the next person, i'm just too dam lazy to turn my main computer into a linux box, as i dont have the patience to get my games to work, also i dont know if i would get my adsl to work with it either.

I'm thinking of backing up my needed files (again!) and wiping the hard drive, and starting over again.

whats the best file system to have: ntfs or fat32? I'm interested in speed if there is any difference? as for security i have recently upgraded my firewall/virus scanning software so i think im okay with that
Attached Thumbnails
windows media player 9-wmp-1.png   windows media player 9-wmp-2.png  
Old 17th May, 2004, 05:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW
nope,
no luck there
the install program i downloaded from the ms website even tho it was for 95/nt 4.. it should still work. It just complains that it is not supported on this verion of windows, which is funny cos win2k comes bundled with mp6.

I'm suspicious ¬_¬ i reckons its done on purpose, u install wmp9 so they can slap the "digital rights" and if you dont like it tough! you cant go back to what you had before

whats the best file system to have: ntfs or fat32? I'm interested in speed if there is any difference? as for security i have recently upgraded my firewall/virus scanning software so i think im okay with that
NTFS has more overhead but is also much more robust (IMHO) than fat32. Every system I have runs NTFS.

Have you tried one of the other media players out there, like WinAmp or BM? You aren't required to live with Media Player, you know, even on Windows.
Old 17th May, 2004, 06:53 PM
Member/Contributer

i use winamp for mp3.

i fixed it..

i uninstalled both media players, deleted the contents of the windows media player file..

i did a google search which led me to a cached page of a fourm which had a link to a place hosting wmp64.exe which wouldnt work either but i opened it with winzip which happily extracted the files for me and i used the mp2wrap.exe in there to install the player and it seems to be working nicely again ^_^!

i like wmp6 cos of its simplicity, just double click a file and it opens and plays straight away, no fancy playlist, no annoying extras to burn cds with, no opening web page when you turn the dam thing on. If i wanted to look at stuff on the web i'll use my web browser. If want to burn CDs i'll use Nero. If i want to rip CDs i will use dbpoweramp.
Old 17th May, 2004, 07:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW
i like wmp6 cos of its simplicity, just double click a file and it opens and plays straight away, no fancy playlist, no annoying extras to burn cds with, no opening web page when you turn the dam thing on. If i wanted to look at stuff on the web i'll use my web browser. If want to burn CDs i'll use Nero. If i want to rip CDs i will use dbpoweramp.
I hear ya. I feel the same way. RealPlayer was a nice product 'till they started grafting a whole bunch of extra crap onto it. Winamp3 suffered from the same problem, IMHO. Although LamaSoft seem to have struck a nice balance with WA5.
Old 17th May, 2004, 07:03 PM
Member/Contributer

i still got winamp2
real player was good until they got to G2.. which was tolerable you could get rid of the channels, and it didnt put something in startup, like realone, which i have to remove periodically , its almost like spyware
Old 18th May, 2004, 06:11 PM
AOA Staff

Media Player is overloaded with junk few people want, as piccoLEW said.

Winamp is my current favorite and there's some nice skins for it.
Old 23rd May, 2004, 05:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Winamp is my current favorite and there's some nice skins for it.
my current winamp skin
Attached Thumbnails
windows media player 9-winamp.jpg  
Old 23rd May, 2004, 06:21 PM
AOA Staff

Trendy.