AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th July, 2004, 03:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

XP's path

hi,

in OS's < winxp, i was able to add a path to the autoexec.bat file (c:\smiley) and every program inside the directory 'smiley' was accessible everywhere when i'm browsing the pc via dos.

how can i do the same thing in winxp?

thanks,
barneygumble742
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th July, 2004, 04:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hey Barney! Haven't seen you in a while! 'Sup?

In answer to your question, I believe what you did was you did something like the following:

PATH=%PATH%;C:\Smiley

in your autoexec.bat file, right? To do the same type of thing in Windows, you have to System Properties, go to the Advanced tab, and select the Enviroment Variables button. This will bring up a dialog with two list boxes and some buttons. The top box will be labled "User Variables for Administrator" or whatever user you are logged on as, and the other one will be labeled "System Variables". If the "User Variables" list has a Path variable in it, then you will want to click on it, and then click the Edit button and add C:\smiley, otherwise you will have to click the New button and add the Path variable and then set the value to C:\Smiley.

Note, these instructions are based on what I see on my Win2K box. For WinXP it will probably be slightly different, but you should be able to sus it out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th July, 2004, 07:18 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

For WinXP right click on "My Computer." This will bring up the "Systems Properties" dialog box. From there, select the "Advanced" tab. On the bottom, click "Environmental Variables." You can select either "User Variables" or "System Variables" depending on whether you want the path to be universal. From there, select either "Add" or "Edit." Either edit the variable or create a new one. I created a new Temp thing so all the programs will dump all their crap into one temp folder.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 14th July, 2004, 07:18 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

In WinXP you have the file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT which is the WinNT variation on a theme of autoexec.bat. There is a difference though - instructions you add into here to NOT affect the entire systems, but will only affect programs that you run in dosprompt or Win9x/3.x/DOS compatability mode.

The syntax is very slightly different, but there's a howto on M$'s support site.
Old 15th July, 2004, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

thanks everyone. it worked!

hey gizmo,

how's it going? i've been around. i'm on summer vacation for now. i got a book on asm programming for the x86 and i'm messing around with that. but xp, for 'security reasons' doesn't allow me to execute my asm programs. as far as my pc...i think i bought some crappy fans.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 15th July, 2004, 03:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Err............define
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble742
for 'security reasons' doesn't allow me to execute my asm programs
As far as XP is concerned, it doesn't know if the exe was compiled from C or written directly in assembly, so I'm a little confused?

Are you saying that XP won't let you run Debug?
Old 16th July, 2004, 02:52 AM

its written in asm. i read on an asm message board that in xp, you can't access certain ports due to "security concerns." the term "security concerns" can be taken either way depending on if your pro or anti MS. i can see how certain viruses written on asm won't be able to access the ports so the viruses are useless.

when i run debug. and type this in (to view the first sector of the hard drive):

-L 100 2 0 1

i get the following error:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com
An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
[Close] [Ignore]

so if your anti MS, you could look at this and say that MS doesn't want people to learn or experiment with pcs.

it lets me run debug. i can also compile the program using masm. but i cannot run it. if i try to run it, nothing happens because i'm trying to directly access the hard drive, etc...

but all my programs run perfectly on 98se.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 16th July, 2004, 04:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I see.

Yes, it is true that you cannot directly access the hardware in XP (or any flavor of NT, for that matter). It is due to security.

NT (and, presumably, 2000 and XP also) has a security descriptor map for each of the I/O ports that defines what ports are user accessible and what ports are not. It is possible to modify this map so that you can directly access hardware on these OSen, and indeed there are utilities out there that do exactly that. Do a Google on 'port direct access windows nt' or something along those lines, and you should be able to come up with something. Otherwise, you'll have to learn how to write a device driver to directly access the hardware, because only devices running at Ring 0 can directly access the hardware, and the only thing on the system with the ability to run at Ring 0 are device drivers IIRC.