AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th July, 2004, 03:51 PM

Flashing a 9600 to 9600 pro

Hello All.
I am due to recieve an x800XT PE once I get back off of holiday but for now I want to see what my powercolour 9600 np can do. I have looked on the ATi BIOS database and the powercolour 9600pro 256mb looks like the correct BIOS to enable me to flash to 9600pro. I have safely reached pro clockspeeds with my card, and the only thing worrying me about the flashing is that on the database - the RAM type for this BIOS is samsung, an mine is elixer. Would this have an adverse effect on the flashing. Has anyone here ever attempted this particular flash and does anyone have any tips for doing this?

Cheers
Old 21st July, 2004, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotshotUK
Hello All.
I am due to recieve an x800XT PE once I get back off of holiday but for now I want to see what my powercolour 9600 np can do. I have looked on the ATi BIOS database and the powercolour 9600pro 256mb looks like the correct BIOS to enable me to flash to 9600pro. I have safely reached pro clockspeeds with my card, and the only thing worrying me about the flashing is that on the database - the RAM type for this BIOS is samsung, an mine is elixer. Would this have an adverse effect on the flashing. Has anyone here ever attempted this particular flash and does anyone have any tips for doing this?

Cheers
normally its best to get a bios with the same ram type, have you looked here there is a comprehensive list of ati bios's http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/bios.php is the np and the pro the same but with different clock speeds? you can alway use a ati bios editor to change the default clocks if thats what you want
Old 21st July, 2004, 05:08 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

That's amazing.
I didn't think you could get a 50%+ OC out of that memory. The gpu is very good too, though not as surprising.
How high can the GPU and Memory go on your card?

Edit: welcome to aoa.
Old 21st July, 2004, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I looked on that link and it turns out that the 256mb powercolour 9600np only goes at 398/203 so my memory doesn't need to go anywhere! The only thing is that the only 256mb card on that site has samsung RAM. I'll give it a go annyways and if it screws up, ill borrow a PCI VGA and flash it back

Thank you.
Old 21st July, 2004, 11:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The 9600np is non pro, so I don't think flashing will do anything. I thought the pro versions had DDR memory running over 300mhz. But I haven't been following all of ATI's marketing tricks lately.