AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2004, 04:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

Windows 2000, hard drive partition + format?

Hey, could use some help here. Installed a 160 Gig hard drive and read that Windows wouldnt recognize it (>130 gig) until after service pack 3. Kind of funny cause cant get to service pack 3 until after hard drive is formatted and has windows on it . My way of doing this (right or wrong) was to partition it during initial format for 40 gig and 120 gig. I installed windows on the 40 gig partition.

Anyhow, how do I go about formatting the remaining space (120 gig) so it can be used as a second hard drive for storage?

I kind of want c: 40 HDD, d: 120 HDD, e-f CDROMS etc..

Suspect it is fairly simple, could use some instructions and don't be afraid to talk down to me.... No offense will be taken, lol

Thanks, Bill

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2004, 04:30 PM
Member/Contributer

you could just create the 40gb partition, install win2k then the service pack, then create the 120gb partition, change the drive letters of the cd drivesand then change the letter of the new partition
not sure how you change drive letter ins 2k but in xp its in disk management in the computer management tool under Administrative Tools

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2004, 04:43 PM

I've currently got 2000 installed on the 40 gig with all available updates. Where to I go to format the remaining partition, cant poke around on it right now as I'm at work. I should be able to figure it out when I get home, just hoping for a quick answer from someone who already knows, save me some time and a possible mistake

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

Old 28th October, 2004, 10:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's the same with Win2K. Right click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Manage". That will bring up the computer management MMC snapin. Once you've got that open, you'll see the "System Tools", "Storage", and "Services and Applications" groups. Click on the "+" next to "Storage", and then click on "Disk Management". From there I think you can probably figure it out.
Old 29th October, 2004, 02:29 AM

Thanks Gizmo, its formatting as I type. You almost gave me too much credit to figure it out. Took a while to realize I had to repartiion it again so it would have a drive letter. Once I got that..... no problems.

Now I can forgive you for roaring by me in the folding stats

Again, thanks alot. Bill

AOA Team fah

Old 29th October, 2004, 02:55 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo