AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2001, 05:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

Your opinions of XP

So, those with XP (2600), what do you think? Is there too much tweaking necessary? Should I bother upgrading from 2000 if I do folding, browse the internet, some photoshop, and play games?

Those without XP, are you planning to get it? And...

Daniel~, what are your current thoughts about it? I haven't heard your opinion on the subject for a while, and am wondering if it's changed at all.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 05:18 PM

Ive been running it for about 1 month now and would never go back to 2000.it is the most atble op sys evr from m$ im running a tbird at 1466 def volts and not had 1 stability prob yet i highly recomend this op sys for those who are sceptical
Old 2nd October, 2001, 08:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

To be honest SFA OK, I've been so busy with getting AOA up I have fallen way behind on news. Last I heard they were backing way off the "change your hardware and you have to call mommy."

Privacy may still be an issue. I'd be more interested in what it's users think they have gained over W2K. AND what if anything they feel they may have lost.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2001, 08:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally posted by RatBag
Ive been running it for about 1 month now and would never go back to 2000.it is the most atble op sys evr from m$ im running a tbird at 1466 def volts and not had 1 stability prob yet i highly recomend this op sys for those who are sceptical
I too would be interested in this. I am a 2K op sys user now. I have a few probs with some games but nothing major. I guess besides the speed thing. (slower in 2K) Is XP a better gaming OS?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2001, 10:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
To be honest SFA OK, I've been so busy with getting AOA up I have fallen way behind on news. Last I heard they were backing way off the "change your hardware and you have to call mommy."

Privacy may still be an issue. I'd be more interested in what it's users think they have gained over W2K. AND what if anything they feel they may have lost.
Hey man I'm still keeping it real and refusing to use it
Not like all these sell outs.

Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:01 AM

Fisrt Bill Gates steals from Steve Jobs and makes windows now he is stealing from Linux WTF someone should put a stop to this prick.

XP = Unstable Linux. I was a a computer shop I go to from time to time and I got to see a peak at the real XP OS and the only thing missing is the stableness of Linus and TUX the penguin.

This is sad Bill Gates wants to see how dumb people really are if their going to pay almost $400(Isn't that the price on XP?) for something that you can Download for free. This is really a dark day.

Bill you are such an evil man. I spit on the path that you walk on. I can see stealing from Mac because they suck but, Lunix you should be taken to court and have all your cash taken from you and then you should be taken out in the street and have both you feet chopped along with you eyes gouged out so you can still here the little kids scream every time they pass you. May every bad thing that can happen to you happen and then some.

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ºC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

You gotta remember that bill was probabally bullied at school, so this is like his revenge on the world and he has a real power and inadequacy problem.
Of course if people will buy his crap you can't blame him for selling it.

Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:17 AM

Yes but is making people to be bigger fools than they already are.

Come on XP has a Dos emulator Phil how much more Linux do you need to get. Bill Gates invited DOS and now he is scrapping it for WINe(Windows emulator) I don't get it...I do get it and I don't like it.

Could this prove Bill Gate's ties to the government at last because I remember reading something about hoe the NSA was trying to make Linux more secure...Could it be that they were really making XP????

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU

Last edited by AmbientFiction; 3rd October, 2001 at 01:20 AM.
Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

its pretty sweet after u disable all the stuff that treats you like a newb
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber
its pretty sweet after u disable all the stuff that treats you like a newb
Thats because its Linux phiber go boot up a computer that has Mandrake 8.0 and use the KDE or Gnome interface and you'll see what I am talking about those of you that know how to do screen shots in Lunx (If their any different could you post a screen shot ove both of those interfaces)

And someone with XP post a screen shot with the purple background. This will be very funny I can't wait to see what people have to say about this.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 3rd October, 2001, 02:34 AM

Wow touchy subject all he asked was i f people who were using it liked and so on.I think its great and would not go back to 2000'98'me at all this in MY opinion blows them away and ive used them all.Now for linux i cant argue on that as i have never used it
Old 3rd October, 2001, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RatBag
Wow touchy subject all he asked was i f people who were using it liked and so on.I think its great and would not go back to 2000'98'me at all this in MY opinion blows them away and ive used them all.Now for linux i cant argue on that as i have never used it
No not touchy I am just Anti Winblowz but I am stuck using it till I get another hard drive so I can have windoze as a back-up and Linux as a primary.

I think its wrong that the whole OS loks like Linux down to the Icons for the drives. The whole Linux password scheem of how you click your name/Icon and enter in a password is in XP, The way that the start bar and program listings are laied out looks like Linux so on and so forth...I just wonder why Bill Gates can do his own frigging work.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 3rd October, 2001, 04:54 AM

What version of Linux do you use? Can I DL a demo?
Old 3rd October, 2001, 04:59 AM

Well sam I use 8.0 Mandrake and you are welcome to a distro if you want just let me get my server setup and you can download it off me I don't know how my bandwidth will look but I'll hook ya up. Watch for a PM

I am also putting up a distro of Slackware 8.0 I haven't had a chance to use it yet even though I have heard its very dependent on the command line.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm

Last edited by AmbientFiction; 3rd October, 2001 at 05:08 AM.
Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbientFiction
Well sam I use 8.0 Mandrake and you are welcome to a distro if you want just let me get my server setup and you can download it off me I don't know how my bandwidth will look but I'll hook ya up. Watch for a PM

I am also putting up a distro of Slackware 8.0 I haven't had a chance to use it yet even though I have heard its very dependent on the command line.
Hey, thanks alot. I have been interested in checking Linux out for some time. I guess lack of knowledge has kept me from it.

Thanks again...........
Old 3rd October, 2001, 04:02 PM

I saw where you tried to log in and I am sorry that you couldn't but sometimes my firewall is a slut. I'll have to add your IP so I'll get in touch with you when I get home from school.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 3rd October, 2001, 04:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:

Thats because its Linux phiber go boot up a computer that has Mandrake 8.0 and use the KDE or Gnome interface and you'll see what I am talking about those of you that know how to do screen shots in Lunx (If their any different could you post a screen shot ove both of those interfaces)

And someone with XP post a screen shot with the purple background. This will be very funny I can't wait to see what people have to say about this.
yeah it does look similiar i have Mandrake running on my server
Old 3rd October, 2001, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I saw where you tried to log in and I am sorry that you couldn't but sometimes my firewall is a slut. I'll have to add your IP so I'll get in touch with you when I get home from school.
Cool thanks.............
Old 3rd October, 2001, 10:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sfa ok Send a message via AIM to sfa ok

I don't think it's stealing from Linux that much. Some elements are the same, but that could be chance. I used to have Linux as my primary OS, and loved it. I just don't have the time required to maintain it right now.
Old 3rd October, 2001, 10:32 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

you know, the first time I used Mandrake 8, I said, holy cow, does this ever look like windows.

I am the last person to support MS, but I thought the opposite of you Ambient, as never having used Linux before, I felt that Linux imitated the look of MS and not the other way around.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!