AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th January, 2005, 12:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Saulter

Question a dumb question about chipset drivers

I have a Asus p4p800 and they havn't updated the chipset drivers in about 2 years, seriously. I was wondering since it is a Intel 865PE chipset, could I simply use the drivers off of Intels website for my board? or do they tend to act up some times when not using the motherboard manufacturers posted drivers. One more question also, it is a little off this topic but I am currently using a 9800XT video card and was wondering if I should try some of the other "tweaked" drivers like the omegas or something. I am guessing they have more features and can run a little faster when set up properly. Guess I should show what parts I am using, everyone else is. Thanks in advance.

P43.0c @ 3.6 air cooled
Asus p4p800
4x512 Mushkin Hi Perf LII V2
ATI 9800XT
2x74GB Raptors striped
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Old 27th January, 2005, 01:03 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Hi Saulter,

Welcome to AOA forums ! Your question is not dumb I think you can use the original Intel chipset drivers without problems.From what I've heard the ATI omega drivers have some issues in some games, but I haven't got the chance to test them and I am not sure, I think you can give it a try, no harm done.

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2005, 01:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Yes the intel drivers are fine, these will pretty much be what you motherboard manufacturer distributes any way.
The omega drivers are best for the 9800SE or 9500 cards as they have the soft mod to open locked pipelines in these cards. You may see some gains in benchmarks using the moega drivers but very little in real world usage, plus they aren't always as stable as the standard catalysts. Download atitool and concentrate on overclocking, you can get about 10% extra usually. And get the latest catalysts as well if you don't already have them, the new a.i. function can give a good boost to performance.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2005, 01:36 PM

thank you

I thank both of you for not flogging me about those questions,lol. have any suggestions on a cooler for my 9800XT and my CPU fan and heatsink wich sounds like 4 turbines on a jet. The one I have is very loud and I know I can get a quieter one that cools my CPU alot better. I am using a Thermaltake A1715 P4 Spark 7+ (Xaser Edition). Don't want to go water yet with this PC so just the best out there that is quiter and has better cooling. I think I might have only paid 20 for it at the time but I am able to throw alot more cash on the best. Any opinions?
Old 27th January, 2005, 01:46 PM
Member/Contributer

I think the Omega drivers are also modded for better visual quality, usually at the slight expense of a few FPS.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th January, 2005, 01:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Avoid thermaltake if quiet cooling is what you seek, yes it will be an improvement on your current cooler but there are much better available.
he 9800XT I recomend an arctic cooling cooler.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=11
you might also consider the Zalman ZM80D-HP which is passive, though I don't recomend this for an 9800XT
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product...x=138&code=013

And for the cpu the best choice is the Thermalright XP-120 with a 120mm Nexus Real Silent Case Fan, if this is too expensive then my second recomendation is a Zalman CNSP7700-AlCu

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th January, 2005, 03:16 PM

thanks for the suggestions, I went ahead and got the ATI Silencer 3 and the Zalman cooler, the other one you mentioned was only 12 dollars more but, this seems alot quicker to hook up because by the time this stuff comes in I will have maybe 24 hours before I have to leave out of town and want to make shure everything is ready to go when I leave. Thanks again for the time.