AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th February, 2005, 07:00 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Windows XP Home Sp1 can boot into windows nor re-install.

After screwing around with new hardware for the las few hours i thought i finally got somewhere.......Windows won't boot it keeps re-starting everytime it try's. So i figured it didnt like my new hardware(xp was already installed on hd before hardware was added/changed). So i thought i would put in the boot floppy's and try to install......nope no go on the last disk (Disk 6) i got a BSOD grrrr.
Old 26th February, 2005, 12:49 PM

I've managed to repair things like this via the recovery console, just by "playing with things" for hours.

Chances are, a "repair" might not actually fix your problem, either.

I would certainly advise you to do a parallel install just so you can keep working in the meantime. Of course, you're going to either need to shell out for a partition management tool, or find a spare hard drive.

You know, I remember installing Linux in 1995 - all we had to do to was use Norton Utilities to completely defragment the drive, and edit the partition table by hand. Of course, you can probably still do that way, but I don't think NTFS or FAT32 really likes it.
Old 27th February, 2005, 08:06 AM
Banned

Problem is i can't even get into to install fresh or repair of windows xp or anything else for that matter. Might be my cheap ram.......wish the place i bought off had of told me i might have problems with it(i did ask if anything might be incompatible).
Old 27th February, 2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

Well iv'e emailed the place i bought the stuff from asking i fi could return it and pay the difference for some better quality brand that the board officially supports. Hopefully this was the problem.....i still gotta wait till saturday when i get paid though

EDIT: And that's if they agree otherwise im screwed >_<.
Old 27th February, 2005, 01:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Take a step back...

If you suspect the ram, download the iso of memtest... burn to a cd. You don't need windows to test your memory. If you get errors, slow down the timings and increase your vDIMM. Rinse, repeat....
Old 27th February, 2005, 02:08 PM
Banned

Iv'e never done that sort of thing before and in the bios for the mobo under any memory settings there isn't any name for a settign corresponding to that or other things iv'e read in the forum.

These settings are usually stuff like 3T, 2.5T, 4T, 9T and others.

Anyway right now im using the old hardware set back up......but im having issue with my video card now which were not present before. I got This "device cannot start. (Code 10)" For my video display iv'e tryed uninstalling and re-installing ati drivers but it makes no difference.

Could you give me some information(lamen english terms) as to how i should play around with memory options in the bios. I may set it back up tomorrow if i have sufficient information and try it out. But do you think if the place i got it from accept's i should just wait it ou on my old hardware until i get the extra cash i need to get the kingston ram(im pretty sure mobo specs said it supported this brand).?
Old 27th February, 2005, 02:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Back up...
First, be certain it is the memory... Use Memtest. If the memory is the cause, you will see errors there. Then, we can deal with it. There are many A64 users, and I'm sure they can sort out the timings for you. Before we go there, let's make sure it is the cause.
Old 27th February, 2005, 02:21 PM
Banned

Fair enough. I'll have to set it all back up tomorrow i even put the cpu and all back in it's box, didn't want it still in and poking out somewhere for my sister to get ahold of it. I really can't see where else the issues would lie though because obviously the cpu and board are working to some extent.

Iv'e checked the temps in the bios and it didn't look like it was running real hot or anything. And here's a more detailed description of the problems i was having:

1. Getting into the bios without problems but when trying to get into windows i always came to the select screen(safe mode, normal, last known good config etc). So i choose one and after a couple of seconds it just reboot itself.

2. When trying to run the boot disks i get to the last one and sometimes where it shows the licensing agreement but as soon as it try's to search through stuff(it detected previous version of windows) i got a BSOD with message PAGED_DATA_IN_NONPAGED_AREA(or very similar i cant remember exactly) or on the last disk it either freezes on "please wait......" or i get a different BSOD screen with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL(im pretty sure that's the exact message).
Old 27th February, 2005, 02:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Before you take apart the system you are working with...
Make sure you visit our files section,
Download memtest iso, CPUz, prime at a bare minimum.

Give us specs on your mobo, cpu, and memory.

I believe your guess is correct, and the memory is at fault... if this continues, try increasing voltage to memory. On DDR400, 2.6-2.7v is nothing.
Old 27th February, 2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

How do i increase the voltage for memory? I saw lots of settings in the bios for the mobo lol many.... many.... options. I don't remember anything that sounded specific to any voltage settings though(perhaps it had a fancy name for it?).

The new hardware i bought is:
Intel Celeron D 2.4ghz(not sure which model it doesnt show on package or in writing). The bios on new board asked if i wanted to run it at 2.4 or 3.6 iv'e tryed both(3.6 originally but put it back down just incase).

Asus P4S800-MX Latest 1010 bios(no upgrade for bios needed).
Legend DDR400 PC3200 256mb ram(Single Sided).

Old existing hardware:

FIREBALLP AS20.5.
MSI RX9250(Radeon 9250 chipset).
CD-Rom (52/32/52 not sure on brand).
Basic floppy drive.

And that's all i had in i also tryed onboard video incase my card wasn't 1.5v as the board says it only takes(Couldnt find information on whether my video card is 1.5 or something else).

Oh and also my ClipperPro SPS ATX-400watt PSU.
Old 28th February, 2005, 12:24 AM
Banned

Update: The place i bought it from replyed to my email telling me to bring it in for testing and to see what to do from there. He said within 7 days of purchase(for immediate replacement or credit) which is lucky for me because i bought the stuff on saturday and can't get in their until this saturday.