AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2008, 05:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Why don't you give Fernando's suggestion a try? He seems to be indicating that, in fact, the boot priority DOES matter.

Sometimes, the way the BIOS presents thing to you on the screen bears only a passing resemblance to the way things actually happen internally.

What have you got to lose but a few minutes of your time? I realize that you are probably frustrated beyond belief at this point, but if you haven't got any better ideas and no-one else has given you a better suggestion, why not give it a whirl?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2008, 05:33 AM

thank you gizmo and fernando. I do not mean to be short. boot order does not come in to play until the computer starts its search for Hard Drives and which Hard Drive has an OS on it. The Raid is set as the 3rd boot after CD and Floppy. It is also set as the initial 1st HD. It has to be chosen as first drive in order to be selectable within the boot order screen. THe boot order screen only has 3 options: CD, floppy and the selected 1st drive.

am going to try an addon SATA card next maybe
Old 24th January, 2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfish View Post
I have the raid selected as drive 1, and set as the third in the order of boot.
but, that again does not matter as the raid array utility is accessed before the OS is searched. This is the raid array setup utility that follows the mainboard's bios.
That exactly is the reason why I suggested to check the mainboard BIOS settings.

Quote:
It should not matter where the array is whether or not the array is bootable, right?
No, the HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY settings are important, especially when you have non-RAIDed hdd's with a Master Boot Record on them.

Quote:
All HD's are bootable, but we only choose to make drive 0 the boot drive.
None of the hdd's is bootable by its own. Why do you think, that all your hdd's are bootable? Only a hdd with a boot sector is bootable and it depends on the user if he made it bootable or not.
If any of your non-RAID hdd should be bootable, you should change the situation by erasing the boot files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfish View Post
The Raid is set as the 3rd boot after CD and Floppy.
I don't see any reason for this boot device order. The bootable hdd device (in your case the RAID array) should be the first or second, but never the third bootable device.

Last edited by Fernando 1; 24th January, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2008, 04:41 AM

Still having problems

Hello , ok I have been fighting with this problem for over 3 weeks and countless hours on the phone with microsoft, and even having microsoft replace my media. Im still fighting with this.
I set up bios with no problem I then hit F10 to enter raid setup. I set my 2 SATA seagate 120 gig HDD's in a mirror configuration. it reads it as 1 - 111 gig HDD. Super so far so good. I then let the system boot from CD. As it starts I press F5 just before pressing F6 ( this is to force the hardware layer according to microsoft) shortly later I get the option to select "Standard PC i486 or Other" select the i486. Windows proceeds a little longer and then I am at the point to press "S". I do so and istall "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)" first, then I install
"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)". After This is where the first
problem occures, Windows does not see the two HDD's as as one, but instead as 2 separate 111gig HDD's labeled C drive and D drive. I choose drive C hoping ti will work anyway. Windows formats the one drive and after is when I get the rest of the errors: SETUP CANNOT COPY THE FILE: nvatabus.sys, nvraid.ini, idecoi.dll, nvraid.cat. Im at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: My system is as follows

MB = Jetway 939GT4-SLI-G
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz
HDD = 2 Seagate SATA 120 Gig 7200 rpm
Video = 2 GeForce 8500GT 256 meg set in SLI
Sound = Onboard
Nic = Onboard

Last edited by numdaar; 8th February, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 8th February, 2008, 04:56 AM

You should be selecting ACPI Uniprocessor PC, as I am sure that's what you started out with it isn't the primary issue.

I have found that certain bios and driver combinations don't play well together, depending on the date of the raid rom bios. If you have a fairly late raid rom bios I would download the complete nforce driver package from nvidia, use winrar to extract the files, then copy the contents (not the folder itself) of the raid folder to a floppy..
Old 8th February, 2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numdaar View Post
I then let the system boot from CD. As it starts I press F5 just before pressing F6 ( this is to force the hardware layer according to microsoft) shortly later I get the option to select "Standard PC i486 or Other" select the i486. Windows proceeds a little longer and then I am at the point to press "S". I do so and istall "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)" first, then I install
"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)". After This is where the first
problem occures, Windows does not see the two HDD's as as one, but instead as 2 separate 111gig HDD's labeled C drive and D drive. I choose drive C hoping ti will work anyway. Windows formats the one drive and after is when I get the rest of the errors: SETUP CANNOT COPY THE FILE: nvatabus.sys, nvraid.ini, idecoi.dll, nvraid.cat. Im at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
You should read this guide.

Last edited by Fernando 1; 8th February, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 22nd November, 2009, 10:43 PM

NvRaid installation instructions

I found your guide and have spent the last few hours making heads/tails from it. I was hoping that after the reboot it would go into the grapgic oriented install of windows XP but no such luck. I get a black screen with EXCEPTION at the top of the screen. My opinion is something crashed but the HD isn't showing up in the BIOS. I bought a used ABIT NF8-V Motherboard and its been a mystery why I can't install XP.
Old 23rd November, 2009, 04:20 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Keithrg,
Are you comfortable flashing the bios on your mother board? I had an Abit board that I couldn't get to install XP no matter what I did. So.. I figured I'd give flashing the mobo a try, and what do you know... right after XP installed just fine.

One thing to try FIRST!!! is go into the bios and select "load fail safe options" see if that will allow you to install the OS.

GL
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah