AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th April, 2005, 07:21 AM

Well...I'm posting this from...

My new dual boot of Ubuntu Linux. My curiosity got the better of me and now I'm sitting here wondering what the hell I'm doing.

It's neat and all...but the install takes forever. I guess I like the feel of it so far...but it's...weird. Lol. Crazyness...sheer crazyness. I might post more...if something strikes me as unique about this whole Linux experience.
Old 20th April, 2005, 03:44 PM

Bleh. I tore the PC I had this on apart and got my P4 guts back into the case. Now when I can get a 6600 AGP into my workstation I can get the 5200 into the P4 and I'll have three computers that my friends and I can all game on together with.

I'll be trying the Ubuntu thing again soon...more than likely on a crappy old PII I have laying around. If all goes well I'll try and get that thing up and folding. So far, Linux has been kicking me in the nuts, though. The whole double click philosophy just doesn't quite work. Heh
Old 20th April, 2005, 04:01 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

You can set it to use either single clicks or double, just like Windows. I set Windows to use single clicks, just to be awkward

I did read about a lot of users complaining about Ubuntu and instability/bugs. Any problems?
Old 20th April, 2005, 08:34 PM

Well I noticed that load times are atrocious. My experience so far is way too slim to give any kind of educated response in regards to bugs/crashes. Networking took care of itself for the most part, though. My network saw Ubuntu, and my Ubuntu computer saw my Windows computers and I was able to trade and swap files between them. I have no idea about wireless support, however, but I think I'm going to try it again as soon as I get a wireless PCI adapter.

If anything it will make a nice media machine/word processor/chat/e-mail for...wherever I decide to put it.
Old 20th April, 2005, 10:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
You can set it to use either single clicks or double, just like Windows. I set Windows to use single clicks, just to be awkward
I very much like using single clicks myself, as well. I also use the TweakUI PowerToy to make it act more like X. Between that and single-clicks, it causes a lot of confusion for people who use my PC. LOL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2005, 02:01 AM
Steve Jobs

The more confused they are the less likely they are to screw it up!

I dont even let people touch my machine. Little hands with little thought always cause big problems :\

best part of having OpenBSD is people can try their hardest to screw with it, and it just does the whole "sweetheart, im unix, it takes alot more than that to mess me up".

Ive been using the single click interface ever since windows 98 included all its funny "make windows like internet explorer" toys, and Ive become used to it now. You see, every mouse buttom only has about 2.233X10^14 clicks in it before it fails. Now... by using single click, ive effectively doubled the lifespan of my logitech MX700. And ive doubled my efficiencey.

Nobody thinks of that do they!?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2005, 02:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
You see, every mouse buttom only has about 2.233X10^14 clicks in it before it fails.
Remember that figure is only accurate to +/- 10^2, though.
Old 21st April, 2005, 03:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

How about if you over clock them !! That's gotta take a toll! (Need I add, "So there!"?)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 21st April, 2005, 06:19 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
How about if you over clock them !! That's gotta take a toll! (Need I add, "So there!"?)
LOL, daniel that isnt as silly as it sounds. Back when logitech first released a wireless optical mouse in the "cordless freedom" keyboard / mouse set, it had absolutely terrible tracking. To conserve battery life, the little chip that controlled the optical sensor skipped every second image or something, and skipped every second transmition. By shorting a capacitor, and soldering a resistor onto something or other, people overclocked the mouse. Making it track faster consumed more battery life, but with rechargeables made it a much better gaming mouse.

So yea, its a good idea, but it does take a toll... on battery life.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 21st April, 2005, 09:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

So there!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic